Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: CARICEL - Jamaica's third mobile services provider

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    We all know how the media works. However I read the article and nowhere it mentioned they didn't have the money.

It just said they haven't paid it yet.

When did they plan to launch their service?
    Article also didn't say they have the money.
    According to Caricel they will offer service 'Soon'.......

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Article also didn't say they have the money.
    According to Caricel they will offer service 'Soon'.......
    So the right thing is to assume they don't have the money. Lol got it.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I assume they have 'Money Issues'

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I assume they have 'Money Issues'
    Don't see how you come to that assumption. They haven't even given a date when they will offer service.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Contractor general carrying out 'review' of Caricel operator - Ian Moore, George Neil added as company directors
    Telecom regulator the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) confirmed that it gave requested information about Symbiote Investments Limited, the holding company for Caricel, to the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) as part of a formal review.

But as to what that review covers, the agencies have refused to say.

"Further to your query about the request for information from the OCG, I write to confirm receipt of the information request to the OUR. The OUR has responded in full to such request. However, we cannot otherwise comment on the matter as it is now the subject of a formal review by the OCG," said Yvonne Nicholson, director of consumer and public affairs at the OUR, via email to Sunday Business.
    Read More

More secrecy and hush hush, in addition to that the spectrum payment is still outstanding. Something dont smell right here, and oh from the article I got more confirmation about the link between Symbiote and Gotel, George Neil was a director of Index Communication which operated as Gotel years ago, so that link is settled in my mind now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Contractor general carrying out 'review' of Caricel operator - Ian Moore, George Neil added as company directors

Read More

More secrecy and hush hush, in addition to that the spectrum payment is still outstanding. Something dont smell right here, and oh from the article I got more confirmation about the link between Symbiote and Gotel, George Neil was a director of Index Communication which operated as Gotel years ago, so that link is settled in my mind now.
    I am confused...I am suspecting that Caricel perhaps acquired some of the old Claro towers as i read in an article that they saying they have some 200+ independent towers here or something to that effect and am sure if they been testing for years as someone said then they must have gotten hold of some of those assets ....if not what was done with those towers ? Secondly i havent seen any new buildout of recent so unless they partner with one of those incumbent

Caricel just making noise hoping either Flow or Digicel panic and buy them out .. lol
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

OCG recommends against issuing licence to telecoms provider Caricel

Jamaica's Contractor General has recommended that Technology Minister, Dr. Andrew Wheatley not sign or issue the Domestic Mobile Spectrum Licence granted to Symbiote Investments Limited, which will operate as Caricel.

The licence was granted by Cabinet in May.

Contractor General Dirk Harrison has also recommended that the Mobile Carrier and Service Provider licences that had previously been granted to the company be revoked.

The recommendations is based on the investigation of the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) into the company. The adverse findings are contained in a Special Report, tabled in Parliament on Tuesday.

Mr. Harrison, in the report, says he will be referring the report to the Police Commissioner. He says this is primarily because of the illegal use of the spectrum by Caricel and breaches of the Telecommunications Act, and the Radio and Telegraph Control Act.

....The OCG says during the course of its investigation, it observed many concerns and irregularities in the granting of the Mobile Spectrum Licence. It also found negative findings in relation to one of the company's shareholders, George Neil. These were found during checks by the Police Commissioner in 2014 when Caricel applied for a telecommunications licence...
    The OCG says it also found adverse findings against the Caricel shareholder when he was the Chairman of GOTEL. Those findings remain unchanged.
    Read More

The plot thickens. Looks like that name is showing up again. I recalled that "adverse finding" from a police report done on that person over a decade ago, interesting how it has resurfaced. No wonder why there was such secrecy surrounding the granting of that licence lol.
    Cant wait to see the response of Symbiote (as there could be nothing to this so called "adverse finding") and if the Technology Minister will ignore the OCG finding and recommendation.
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Jul 20, 2016 at 06:14 PM.

I was looking on speed test .net app today and saw a server for caricel. Wow. Well this story is getting puzzling. I wonder if this means they won't launch in August again. I would love to have heard that special report where can we find it?

Sorry dont have the report, hearing excerpts of it on Nationwide radio now. I suspect the full report which is before parliament will be available online soon