Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 311

Thread: CARICEL - Jamaica's third mobile services provider

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Speeds seem capped to 5megs plus indoor coverage inconsistent
    If possible, could, you post a picture of the Caricel Huawei Modem on here. I would like to see the unit and how it performs. I would love to use their services, especially the 150 Mbp/s internet speeds they say that they offer.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Don't let them fool u about 150 megs. They should be punished for false advertisement. I have never gotten over 5 megs except once when they gave me new SIM card and I got 18 megs. However that was short lived and now am back to 5megs. They cap the SIM card not device. There are pics of the modem here tho. I urge u to have them do a test of the speeds using the same device u buying infront of u.

    To me it's not worth it if u thinking of replacing your home internet or your lte from Digicel internet. For one,u get a us flogged and Spammed out IP address and so all your transactions are flagged by merchant. I had so many accounts locked and had to explain how comes I say am in Jamaica and have us ip. Especially PayPal.

    If u get past 50 megs or if anyone is getting past 50 megs using them the or even 30 megs then lemme know and I would gladly take back my word but I have proof they acknowledge the service is capped

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Don't let them fool u about 150 megs. They should be punished for false advertisement. I have never gotten over 5 megs except once when they gave me new SIM card and I got 18 megs. However that was short lived and now am back to 5megs. They cap the SIM card not device. There are pics of the modem here tho. I urge u to have them do a test of the speeds using the same device u buying infront of u.

    To me it's not worth it if u thinking of replacing your home internet or your lte from Digicel internet. For one,u get a us flogged and Spammed out IP address and so all your transactions are flagged by merchant. I had so many accounts locked and had to explain how comes I say am in Jamaica and have us ip. Especially PayPal.

    If u get past 50 megs or if anyone is getting past 50 megs using them the or even 30 megs then lemme know and I would gladly take back my word but I have proof they acknowledge the service is capped
    A representative from the company told me that for the student package, it is currently capped at 5 Mbp/s, but for the General Public packages, they have speeds of up to 150 Mbp/s. The rep also stated that they are having severe challenges with Third party Networks and providers. She said that the cap is in place to test the Network, and reduce the stress on the limited amount of equipment they have at this time.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    A representative from the company told me that for the student package, it is currently capped at 5 Mbp/s, but for the General Public packages, they have speeds of up to 150 Mbp/s. The rep also stated that they are having severe challenges with Third party Networks and providers. She said that the cap is in place to test the Network, and reduce the stress on the limited amount of equipment they have at this time.
    Its all a trick. Just beware their student package is the majority of their network. When they were selling no reference to this cap was mentioned. They cant be held to their words because i have someone with another package and its still not passing 10 megs with inconsistent speeds however u can surely ask them to test the modem u shall get in person and see how that works.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    178
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Its all a trick. Just beware their student package is the majority of their network. When they were selling no reference to this cap was mentioned. They cant be held to their words because i have someone with another package and its still not passing 10 megs with inconsistent speeds however u can surely ask them to test the modem u shall get in person and see how that works.
    Also wasnt told bout any caps when i first sign up, the speed that i posted i was getting earlier in this thread, i was still getting until recently when the service went down for me for a couple days. Ever since it came back up, its just been crappy, lucky to get over 3 let alone 5megs consistently, even in the nights and im getting full signal on the modem, 3 to 4 out the 5 bars when i log into the modem.
    Signup for a 3 month plan in late december, got a call last week that i have a payment due from the end of january. Still havent gotten a call back to clarify the issue and im still having problems getting through to customer service. Disappointed, much i am.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Same here. It's just not unlimited if your capped to a certain speed or such In my view

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i wish i was getting even 2mb here and am spending more for my data on digi wimax and lime superwifi.... 5mb would be a relief for me... if i was caricel i would launch inthe west cause people in the east not so appreciative...
    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Saw this headline on the Gleaner Caricel dilemma - Government reportedly trying to broker sale of telecoms firm as international partners hint at punitive actions against Jamaica Link

    Recently, Holness told The Sunday Gleaner that the People's National Party administration had left his Government with no option but to grant the licence to Symbiote. The contractor general recommended against the granting of the licence but Holness argued that, "By any standard of judgement, the decision to grant the licence was already made by the previous Cabinet."

    According to Holness, his administration was basically left to determine the form of the licence when it took office a year ago.

    "We took the contractor general's recommendation very seriously and we reviewed what he said, but then we had to balance against what would be our legal exposure having all of what was done by the previous government," explained the prime minister.

    While not saying what would be his administration's next step, at a time when the international partners are reportedly citing national security concerns as the reason for their opposition to Symbiote, Holness declared that everything will be done "by the letter of the law".

    But the Government could face a multibillion-dollar lawsuit if it revokes the licence granted to the company, even as sources say the international partners remain adamant that the present owners cannot be allowed to operate the business and it must be sold or shut down.
    "Holness has been told that while the international partners will support a home-grown telecoms company, they just don't think that this group is the right group to be doing so. It needs to be either people who are fit and proper or it needs to be shut down," a source close to the administration told our news team.

    "The question of fit and proper and where did the actual capital come from for this enterprise, the international partners claim there are pretty significant issues around that," added the source.

    According to the source, with the Americans already revoking the visas of persons connected to Symbiote, there are fears in the Government that stronger action will follow, and a senior member of the administration was given the task to beg that time be allowed for a buyer to be found.

    "The response was troubling as the message sent back to Holness was that it is in Jamaica's national security interest to ensure that the people who are running telecoms companies are fit and proper, and it is in the US national interest that this particular group of people do not run the telecoms company," added the source.

    Holness was also reportedly told that the Americans were not setting ultimatums or timelines but they are demanding action and pushing that the company be sold.
    HP Notebook - 15-af131dx
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 APU 2 GHz with Radeon HD 8400 Graphics,8 GB RAM

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clemull View Post
    Saw this headline on the Gleaner Caricel dilemma - Government reportedly trying to broker sale of telecoms firm as international partners hint at punitive actions against Jamaica Link
    I agree, it should be sold and re-branded. It will be better for the survival of the company going forward.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    334
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hey any updates on this service?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •