Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 361 to 369 of 369

Thread: CARICEL - Jamaica's third mobile services provider

  1. #361
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Caricel has been acquired by South African company.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...rican-investor

    From what I've heard on the news, Involution limited was founded in 2017. What do you guys make of it?.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Caricel has been acquired by South African company.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...rican-investor

    From what I've heard on the news, Involution limited was founded in 2017. What do you guys make of it?.
    Just done to appease the powers that be. Would not be surprised if the chairs just been moved around. Now what will they do about the slow speeds

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,941
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Well.. it's a little too late now.. both Flow and Digi have LTE up and running... so unless somebody comes along with lower rates and faster speeds Flow and Digi pretty much set.

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well.. it's a little too late now.. both Flow and Digi have LTE up and running... so unless somebody comes along with lower rates and faster speeds Flow and Digi pretty much set.
    I agree, Caricel was touting LTE-A so if given full clearance to the market. They probably will be offering double or triple the speeds that Flow currently offers. We just have to wait and see.

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Just done to appease the powers that be. Would not be surprised if the chairs just been moved around. Now what will they do about the slow speeds
    Well they may now be able to address that issue. Once they are allowed to fully enter the market, they plan to "disrupt the mobile data market" in Jamaica. So they are in expansion mode.

  6. #366
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I agree, Caricel was touting LTE-A so if given full clearance to the market. They probably will be offering double or triple the speeds that Flow currently offers. We just have to wait and see.
    LOL... With what spectrum? FLOW literally is the only network to have 20 MHz of contiguous LTE spectrum in Jamaica. Furthermore, all the available spectrum bands to the market from SMA are at max 15 MHz in size. FLOW already has the ability to run 850 MHz GSM along with UMTS & LTE on its 10 MHz allocation... That's 25 MHz without a single panel change; just software. Moreover, FLOW is already deployed 4x2 MIMO meaning, in as little as a panel change and a software update, they can double their AWS LTE layer's max throughput to 300 Mbit/s.. even without the 33% speed boost from going moving from 64QAM/16QAM to 256QAM/64QAM. Digicel is following right in FLOW's tracks, keeping up with their pace of deployment. Caricel will need to offer literal cut rate prices to dominate a market where prices are already quite low and both incumbents have deployed/are deploying very advanced services such as LTE Roaming, Self-Care applications, automated IVRs and other such services.

    All in all, Caricel was best to have been sold to Digicel or FLOW.

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    LOL... With what spectrum? FLOW literally is the only network to have 20 MHz of contiguous LTE spectrum in Jamaica. Furthermore, all the available spectrum bands to the market from SMA are at max 15 MHz in size. FLOW already has the ability to run 850 MHz GSM along with UMTS & LTE on its 10 MHz allocation... That's 25 MHz without a single panel change; just software. Moreover, FLOW is already deployed 4x2 MIMO meaning, in as little as a panel change and a software update, they can double their AWS LTE layer's max throughput to 300 Mbit/s.. even without the 33% speed boost from going moving from 64QAM/16QAM to 256QAM/64QAM. Digicel is following right in FLOW's tracks, keeping up with their pace of deployment. Caricel will need to offer literal cut rate prices to dominate a market where prices are already quite low and both incumbents have deployed/are deploying very advanced services such as LTE Roaming, Self-Care applications, automated IVRs and other such services.

    All in all, Caricel was best to have been sold to Digicel or FLOW.
    OK, thank you for this, I didn't know that Flow had all this dominance. Is it that Caricel cannot attain 20Mhz for its 700Mhz spectrum?. They did promise a LTE Advance Network. I agree with you, that the only disruption that Caricel could cause. Would be in the pricing and package offerings. I just wish Flow would offer a more affordable unlimited data plan, as well as larger allotments for prepaid users.

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK, thank you for this, I didn't know that Flow had all this dominance. Is it that Caricel cannot attain 20Mhz for its 700Mhz spectrum?. They did promise a LTE Advance Network. I agree with you, that the only disruption that Caricel could cause. Would be in the pricing and package offerings. I just wish Flow would offer a more affordable unlimited data plan, as well as larger allotments for prepaid users.
    Flow doesn't like to compete. As far as I see it , both networks just need to have LTE roaming locally and save themselves the money

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK, thank you for this, I didn't know that Flow had all this dominance. Is it that Caricel cannot attain 20Mhz for its 700Mhz spectrum?. They did promise a LTE Advance Network. I agree with you, that the only disruption that Caricel could cause. Would be in the pricing and package offerings. I just wish Flow would offer a more affordable unlimited data plan, as well as larger allotments for prepaid users.
    The Band plan that the SMA uses only offers operators a maximum of 10 MHz of 700 MHz. Digicel has 10, Caricel has 10. Thatís it. Unless they acquire 1900 MHz or the remaining 10 MHz piece of AWS, thatís as much as theyíll get.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •