Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here made their own router?

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Pfsense was good, by far the most stable was IP COP.
    Havent heard about IP COP. Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    yes it should run on pretty much any x86 architecture. and naa not wasted, you will still need something to act as an Access point, thats where that router will come in

I meant performance wise... Would those weak cores hamper performance?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Havent heard about IP COP. Will check it out.

I meant performance wise... Would those weak cores hamper performance?
    it shouldnt, most remember traditional routers are using single core cpus sub 1ghz so if you get a quad core atom paired with 1gb ram (even though i think you will go more than this) that will be MILES ahead of even the highest end consumer router

it shouldnt, most remember traditional routers are using single core cpus sub 1ghz so if you get a quad core atom paired with 1gb ram (even though i think you will go more than this) that will be MILES ahead of even the highest end consumer router
    Oh was just wondering cause the Asus router I have, has a dual core 1ghz cpu as main and another dual core 1ghz cpu that is dedicated to 5ghz channel.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Oh was just wondering cause the Asus router I have, has a dual core 1ghz cpu as main and another dual core 1ghz cpu that is dedicated to 5ghz channel.
    Which model router is that!? Never heard of such things in a consumer router

Which model router is that!? Never heard of such things in a consumer router
    Lol that is not even their fastest or 2nd fastest.

This is the one I have
    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC87U/

This is currently their fastest
    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC5300/
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Lool ooooh. Frankly pezz unless you have a box laying around or you haven't been satisfied with the performance of ur router i wouldn't go the pfsense route just for trying it out sake.

Consumer routers are limited especially when you start to run VPN clients directly on them. Encryption on MIPS based processors and ARM Cortex processors are no comparison to x64 processors.

If you have an internet connection higher than 50Mbps run the OpenVPN client on your router and do a speedtest and run the same test with the client on your PC. Higher speeds from the PC based client every time.

Things you could use include:

pfSense
    IPCOP
    MONOWALL
    SMOOTHWALL

For other modding stuff, you could look on the DDWRT site for routers that are pre-modded or get the models and buy one - mod it yourself.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Lool ooooh. Frankly pezz unless you have a box laying around or you haven't been satisfied with the performance of ur router i wouldn't go the pfsense route just for trying it out sake.
    I checked the specs of the system the pFsense makers are selling. It seems ram is more important than cores. Since all their machines have 4 core atoms. If you have 3 million connection you need 4GB ram etc.

Seems pfsense is more for business

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Consumer routers are limited especially when you start to run VPN clients directly on them. Encryption on MIPS based processors and ARM Cortex processors are no comparison to x64 processors.

If you have an internet connection higher than 50Mbps run the OpenVPN client on your router and do a speedtest and run the same test with the client on your PC. Higher speeds from the PC based client every time.
    I have 50MB to 80MB connection. I always get that speed when I am downloading. Is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Things you could use include:

pfSense
    IPCOP
    MONOWALL
    SMOOTHWALL

For other modding stuff, you could look on the DDWRT site for routers that are pre-modded or get the models and buy one - mod it yourself.
    I take it MonoWall and Smoothwall are firewalls?
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

I have 50MB to 80MB connection. I always get that speed when I am downloading. Is that what you mean?
    Are you running a VPN client directly in the router? Meaning all devices behind it share the same IP address from a VPN provider. e.g. HMAPro, PRIVATEVPN, etc and still getting 50Mb to 80Mb.