Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Local HD Channels

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    They still not in HD on Flow..
    This is true, I thought that I was the one affected by this issue. When I asked Flow about it, they said that they have limited space. And that they are working to offer TVJ and Mello TV in HD as soon as possible. It seems Flow is having some bandwith issues I guess?. Mello TV is not available on Flows cable, doubt it ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Glad they finally stepped up. CVM's feed cleaner than even US based channels. Wasn't a good look for TVJ literally lol.
    Yes, I agree with you. TVJ however needs a new set in my humble opinion. And Flow seems like they will take forever to upgrade the Signal from thier end. To offer the channel in HD. If you know, what resolution is CVM using for thier HD transmition?.

CVM is definitely 1080i with minimal compression...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    CVM is definitely 1080i with minimal compression...
    OK, since this evening. On Flows Cable, the resolution of the broadcast has been reduced back to analogue. With imaged centered in the middle of the screen, and the picture dark and grainy. I think this issue is with Flow, as CVM sometimes just drops back to SD and then back up to HD with low audio. I always wonder why Flow cant offer All of the channels in HD where they are transmitting such?.9

I don't think TVJ is available in HD at the moment, but HD broadcasting is seemingly on the horizon for viewers on cable.

I was perplexed by a statement made the GM, it seems as if TVJ is waiting on the government to decide on which broadcast system they'll adopt for digital transition. I though the north American standard would've been adopted by Jamaica's free to air broadcasters, ATSC?

Quote Originally Posted by nigel20 View Post
    I don't think TVJ is available in HD at the moment, but HD broadcasting is seemingly on the horizon for viewers on cable.

I was perplexed by a statement made the GM, it seems as if TVJ is waiting on the government to decide on which broadcast system they'll adopt for digital transition. I though the north American standard would've been adopted by Jamaica's free to air broadcasters, ATSC?
    The standard to be adopted most likey will be decided by the broadcasters themselves. Most of the broadcasters are interested in the ATSC standard. While the cable operators, want to use. What they consider to be the superior standard, which is the European DVB-T. Some of the operators want the chance to decide which standard they want to use, as both the European and US Standards have interoperability.

On the other hand, the BCJ and those in favor of the US Standard, is awaiting the new ATSC 3.0 Standard. This new standard is considered by the Americans, as the best and superior standard for Digital broadcast, as it supports internet connectivity and 4k resolution quality. The BCJ holds the view, that it does not make sense to go with the current ATSC version. As it will be outdated in three years time, hence the new digital switch over date, set for 2021.
    Last edited by Nathan77791; Jul 21, 2017 at 01:01 AM.

While I appreciate the fact that digital broadcasting can be a costly undertaking, the constant changing of the digital switch over date is getting ridiculous now, in 2010 they set it to 2015, then 2018 and now 2021, might as well the BCJ just leave it to the individual broadcasters to switch over when dem feel like and done, its obvious the broadcasters are the ones calling the shots here anyway.

Its interesting that the RJR Group, the biggest and most influential entity on the media landscape is numbered among those trailing behind with their digital switch over readiness, yet they find time to merge and take on debts of a dying and obsolete newspaper business. Btw whatever happen to the money RJR claim they will have access to after the merger, that they claim will be used to fund the digital switch over?
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Jul 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM.

Plus, TVJ is the rights holder of the upcoming world championships, as well as the 2018 FIFA world cup. However, most Jamaicans will not be able to view these events in HD.This, in a time when UHD content is gradually increasing.

I never thought the day would come when I would be disappointed in TVJ holding rights as opposed to CVM. At least the commentating will be better.

Our broadcasters rarely update equipment so let them just choose the best for them and done. Online content is going to kill them the longer they take as anyone can setup a HD stream and broadcast even live. Clearly not commercial quality but soon be good enough for most viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I never thought the day would come when I would be disappointed in TVJ holding rights as opposed to CVM. At least the commentating will be better.

Our broadcasters rarely update equipment so let them just choose the best for them and done. Online content is going to kill them the longer they take as anyone can setup a HD stream and broadcast even live. Clearly not commercial quality but soon be good enough for most viewers.
    I agree, I dont know why it is taking our broadcasters so long to upgrade to Digital HD transmisson. Are they that low on cash, that they cant achieve this, 9 years after the first Digital switch over consultation and dates were first agreed upon?. Ready TVs platform should help in the switch over process, it should make it faster and more efficient for the FTA Broadcasters. Lets hope that by next year, for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Both FTA TV Networks will be broadcasting in Digital HD for the games.