Thread: Bash on Ubuntu on Windows – Download Now!

Default Bash on Ubuntu on Windows – Download Now!

At //Build 2016, Microsoft announced the ability to run native Bash and GNU/Linux command-line tools directly on the new Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), coming soon to Windows 10 Anniversary Update builds.

We’ve been amazed by the overwhelming outpouring of interest about this new feature over the last week. One of the most frequent questions we’re asked is “When can I get my hands on Bash on Ubuntu on Windows?”

We’ve held-off giving a date until we were 100% sure it’s available … but that date is NOW!

Gabe Aul has just announced the release of the Windows 10 build #14316 to the Windows Insiders Fast-Ring.

This build contains the first public release of Bash on Ubuntu on Windows and the underlying Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Download Link: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/com...ownload-now-3/
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Interesting times ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Interesting times ahead...
    very much so... i never imagined a day when this would happen

I often see internet comments comments saying "Microsoft is embracing Linux users". I think such ideas are kinda wrong, really this is "Microsoft getting Linux users to embrace Windows".
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

One day Microsoft Windows may become partially Open Source.....nah....who am I kidding?
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    I often see internet comments comments saying "Microsoft is embracing Linux users". I think such ideas are kinda wrong, really this is "Microsoft getting Linux users to embrace Windows".
    I think so. There was time when Microsoft was powerful enough to set the standards. That is no longer the case. They now have to be more inclusive in order to grow.

Here is some more information
    https://mcpmag.com/articles/2016/03/...l-support.aspx

The Bash shell isn't running in a virtual machine. It runs natively in Windows. Microsoft went ahead with this project to add native support to meet the needs of developers who typically use open source, Linux-based tools.
    Not quite sure I agree with the term "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows". Bash is a generic Linux utility. It is not a feature of Ubuntu only. If I am not mistaken, it predates Ubuntu.
    Last edited by jamrock; Apr 8, 2016 at 09:54 AM.