Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel LTE

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well, hats off to Digicel.. 4G/LTE now combined.. so we should be getting LTE at no additional cost wherever LTE is available.

I'm gonna drive around today and check if no additional LTE areas are in Mobay other than Airport... someone told me it's now out Fairview so i'll see...

Correct me if i'm wrong thou.. the princes seem to be adjusted up thou.. almost sure I paid less for 7day and 3day 4G plans..

I hope there are additional areas. No LTE yet from FLOW in Mobay though....

Prices are still the same From September last year.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Yea... I realize.. was mixing up 2 day and 3 day plan prices..

OK ... So LTE is good to go both from my Prepaid and Postpaid.... LTE is at Airport/Flankers/Parts of Ironshore & Rosehall, that's just about all the places I see 4G pop up on my phone.

Did two speed-tests out Ironshore (Blue Diamond).. first from prepaid (3 Bars), second from postpaid (2 Bars)...

Prepaid

Postpaid

Last edited by GPRS Internet; May 25, 2017 at 09:04 PM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

OK ... So LTE is good to go both from my Prepaid and Postpaid.... LTE is at Airport/Flankers/Parts of Ironshore & Rosehall, that's just about all the places I see 4G pop up on my phone.

Did two speed-tests out Ironshore (Blue Diamond).. first from prepaid (3 Bars), second from postpaid (2 Bars)...

Prepaid

Postpaid

This 'expansion' they speak of is gonna take a little bit of time... Given what I've seen in their recent Bermuda launch (just today actually), they're ripping and replacing Ericsson equipment with ZTE UniRAN radio and base stations.... It took them (Digicel), about 2 months from the announcement of their LTE upgrades to going live to conduct the rip and replace. That was 47 sites (44 permanent if you disregard the 3 temporary sites for the America's Cup)... They have 1000+ sites in Jamaica :/

Oh and the speeds..................... yikes. Got 115 Mbit/s down & 49 Mbit/s up on the competiton the other day in the middle of New Kgn...... Digi could easily get some 1900 MHz and aggregate it with Band 17 but noooooooooooooooo w/e
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 25, 2017 at 09:31 PM.

Can our phones even make good use of 100+MB/s ?? I mean at those speeds the phone suppose to use 5% battery every minute lol...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

Can our phones even make good use of 100+MB/s ?? I mean at those speeds the phone suppose to use 5% battery every minute lol...
    They can! Of course! In fact, it positively affects battery life as the modem wake time is way less than if it were in an acctive download on LTE.... My phone uses way less power on LTE.. of course your mileage may vary. 100 Mbit/s is essentially an end to buffering but also sufficent capacity for tonnes of subscribers. I know you have hype phone, cyah have it on so so H+ lol.
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 25, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    This 'expansion' they speak of is gonna take a little bit of time... Given what I've seen in their recent Bermuda launch (just today actually), they're ripping and replacing Ericsson equipment with ZTE UniRAN radio and base stations.... It took them (Digicel), about 2 months from the announcement of their LTE upgrades to going live to conduct the rip and replace. That was 47 sites (44 permanent if you disregard the 3 temporary sites for the America's Cup)... They have 1000+ sites in Jamaica :/

Oh and the speeds..................... yikes. Got 115 Mbit/s down & 49 Mbit/s up on the competiton the other day in the middle of New Kgn...... Digi could easily get some 1900 MHz and aggregate it with Band 17 but noooooooooooooooo w/e
    I think your suggestion could be changed to 1800 Mhz and aggregate with Band 17 considering that they already have a license for 1800 Mhz and hence easily refarm that from 2G to LTE band 3. This would make more sense as they would not have to purchase anymore frequency from the SMA.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I think your suggestion could be changed to 1800 Mhz and aggregate with Band 17 considering that they already have a license for 1800 Mhz and hence easily refarm that from 2G to LTE band 3. This would make more sense as they would not have to purchase anymore frequency from the SMA.
    I wanted to think so too but upon further research I found that carrier can't just aggregate specturm at will.... There are specific Band Pairs that were tested and released with 3GPP Release 11... Band 3 can only be aggregated with Bands 5, 7, 8 and 20.... Band 17 can be aggregated with Bands 2, 4 & 5... Band 2 (1900 MHz) as far as I know is occupied by FLOW (10 MHz on WCDMA, 5 MHz on GSM), Digicel on CDMA (1.4 MHz)... That's it!... 1900 MHz has 60 MHz of available spectrum whereas AWS has 45 MHz (of which FLOW has 20 MHz - Blocks D, E & F). See http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/key...tion-explained and you can have a look at the FCC documents pertaining to the SAR Report for devices like the iPhone 6s or 7 to see what bands they support for Carrier Aggregation....

Speaking of refarms, I think FLOW is buying additional spectrum in 850 MHz (I doubt it's more than 5 MHz, 10 MHz if they're lucky and are willing to push GSM to 1900 given they sell NO GSM only phones.. only 3G and up) so they can aggregate it with AWS & improve inbuilding capacity while ensuring maximum device compatibility.

Let me just add that I suspect FLOW will be diminishing or even getting of 2G capacity in LTE areas pretty soon... mark my works
    Last edited by Brandysull; May 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

Once again Digicel totally forget about its loyal postpaid customers...

This new promo is only for new Signups.. $2999 +Tax per month and it's a 12 month contract... 8GB data

Last edited by GPRS Internet; May 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..