Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Excellent. Their competiton has taken notice of this development btw... They're planning something

Nevertheless, great speeds from Digicel and excellent ping too. Great to see both operators offering LTE in all of the population centers across the island.

In terms of what comes next... Digicel has a big obstacle to overcome i.e. FLOW's already outnumbered their site count. When the time comes for Digicel to add mid-band LTE (like 1900 MHz) to their sites, it'll become a headache... adding to the already ugly & terribly complex site setup. I suggest they learn a thing or too from FLOW and try to reduce their antenna count perhaps by decommissioning 2G 900 MHz & 1800 MHz. The site atop Baywest is a literal mess! Too many antennas!!! Look at FLOW's simple and uncomplicated site setup. 6 antennas in total for 2G 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, 3G 850 & 1900 MHz and LTE 1700/2100 MHz.
    You know anything about the Evolution cable promotion?. I wonder what it entails in detail?.

Excellent. Their competiton has taken notice of this development btw... They're planning something

Nevertheless, great speeds from Digicel and excellent ping too. Great to see both operators offering LTE in all of the population centers across the island.

In terms of what comes next... Digicel has a big obstacle to overcome i.e. FLOW's already outnumbered their site count. When the time comes for Digicel to add mid-band LTE (like 1900 MHz) to their sites, it'll become a headache... adding to the already ugly & terribly complex site setup. I suggest they learn a thing or too from FLOW and try to reduce their antenna count perhaps by decommissioning 2G 900 MHz & 1800 MHz. The site atop Baywest is a literal mess! Too many antennas!!! Look at FLOW's simple and uncomplicated site setup. 6 antennas in total for 2G 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, 3G 850 & 1900 MHz and LTE 1700/2100 MHz.
    i'll say Digi is very reliable so maybe with all those antennas plus user base in mo-bay - it all makes sense
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Never knew getting an LTE sim from a normal sim actually came at a cost ... smh

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    Never knew getting an LTE sim from a normal sim actually came at a cost ... smh
    Digicel never fails to disappoint. But are you at least connected to their network? If so, show us what kind of speeds you're getting.

Digicel never fails to disappoint. But are you at least connected to their network? If so, show us what kind of speeds you're getting.
    will post shortly - downloading apps from the play store go as high as 5 megabytes per sec

- chose a miami server

-auto chose a server

@freeport near to the lime building - think thats a shared tower btw
    Last edited by nevintech; Feb 9, 2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    will post shortly - downloading apps from the play store go as high as 5 megabytes per sec

- chose a miami server

-auto chose a server

@freeport near to the lime building - think thats a shared tower btw
    Good stuff... Digicel and FLOW have separate towers in the Freeport area.

Here’s a Speedtest from there on FLOW (outside Fontana)

I do notice that on the North Coast, both operators have varying levels of services i.e. Digicel has stretches of LTE where FLOW doesn’t (Trelawny in its entirety) and the converse for Digicel (especially in St. Ann) where FLOW has comprehensive coverage along the well travelled parts of the parish whereas Digicel hasn’t as yet. The LTE race is heating up!

Digi LTE covers the entire mobay now.. and LTE goes all the way to Falmouth and covers entire Falmouth as well..

I need to take a drive Hopewell side and see how coverage is that side..

I do notice thou often times I'll have 2 bars.. seems they still doing work, originally use to have full bars all over mobay.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Digi LTE covers the entire mobay now.. and LTE goes all the way to Falmouth and covers entire Falmouth as well..

I need to take a drive Hopewell side and see how coverage is that side..

I do notice thou often times I'll have 2 bars.. seems they still doing work, originally use to have full bars all over mobay.
    Actually, I think the 2 bars IS the work... I very much expected them to turn down the power on their sites. Their site density very much would have allowed for mid-Band LTE like AWS or PCS (1900 MHz). 700 MHz at this point is really for bragging rights. In order for LTE sites to cohabit with each other, engineers must work to reduce cell edge interference. 700 MHz is long range but also well suited for rural areas. Urban areas are better suited for mid Band. This is why FLOW has matched Digicel’s coverage in Kingston & MoBay and then some! They can play with the transmit power, transmit antennas and many other techniques... moreover, the obvious capacity advantage is evident because AWS is far more malleable than 700 MHz & offers more Resource Blocks. I saw this first hand were Digicel LTE had great RSSI & SINR while FLOW had terrible RSSI and similar SINR... needless to say, FLOW was faster. Digicel's LTE Network deployment scheme would have made more sense if they had deployed VoLTE

Flow execs should be fired. Every last one of them. They have such bandwidth available from all the undersea cables and spectrum yet they can't give the people better data bundles.

Look at Digicel. You can get 1 gb at night for only 20jmd . 1 gb!

Plus they have unlimited social media for 50jmd. Plus plans for 30 days with unlimited whatsapp. I mean flow is terrible to even be giving 100 megs for social media and think that is anything. Better they never advertise that. Even deezer should be unlimited. The issue with flow is that they have execs would believe Jamaican don't deserve anything good. That is why they refuse to increase the upload speeds etc.
    The head of the company is so clueless. I hope liberty cleans up this company and get rid of everyone.

They clueless to outsource call center and that has made matters even worse. Before u could get thru to agents in el Salvador the only thing they didn't know hwt but these agents know everywhere but clueless as to what is even LTE. They even agree that flow is bad smh

Actually, I think the 2 bars IS the work... I very much expected them to turn down the power on their sites. Their site density very much would have allowed for mid-Band LTE like AWS or PCS (1900 MHz). 700 MHz at this point is really for bragging rights. In order for LTE sites to cohabit with each other, engineers must work to reduce cell edge interference. 700 MHz is long range but also well suited for rural areas. Urban areas are better suited for mid Band. This is why FLOW has matched Digicel’s coverage in Kingston & MoBay and then some! They can play with the transmit power, transmit antennas and many other techniques... moreover, the obvious capacity advantage is evident because AWS is far more malleable than 700 MHz & offers more Resource Blocks. I saw this first hand were Digicel LTE had great RSSI & SINR while FLOW had terrible RSSI and similar SINR... needless to say, FLOW was faster. Digicel's LTE Network deployment scheme would have made more sense if they had deployed VoLTE
    The two bar issue only happens in some locations.. and it will drop to 2 bars for like 3 mins.. then goes back to full bars.