Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Interesting.... any speed test?
    I posted it... see post after the one you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I posted it... see post after the one you quoted.
    Any other sites with LTE in the area? I'd love to get an idea of what the network there entails.

Any other sites with LTE in the area? I'd love to get an idea of what the network there entails.
    Well the person says they see 4G more or less is in the entire Falmouth/Hague/Florence Hall area
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Well the person says they see 4G more or less is in the entire Falmouth/Hague/Florence Hall area
    Cool! FLOW has a few LTE sites that side as well, some in Duncans too I think and the major towns in St. Ann too. Glad that LTE isn't just a metropolitan thing.

Chances are is just one LTE antenna Digicel have serving Falmouth lol
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Asked a friend of mine who lives in Falmouth to do a speedtest..
    Test done near to Falmouth hospital on 2 bars signal (Horrible Upload)...

https://preview.ibb.co/gWqMDG/DigiLTE.jpg
    I wanna see the Service mode on this device... I'm thinking this may be Band 2 or Band 4 perhaps of the 10 MHz variety...
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Dec 4, 2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: removed large pic from quote

Digicel has sent out texts to subscribers in St. Ann, indicating it's in the process of upgrading some sites in the parish to LTE. FLOW on the other hand, I assume, is at the end of the testing period for the North Coast sites given their intention to go live fully this month... I'd love to see some diagnostic data on the sites out in Trelawny and St. Ann from Digicel, to see whether they match the behemoth that is FLOW LTE and the massive capacity it has behind it. My guess is:

1. 20 MHz of Band 3 LTE (which would be standalone and incompatible with Carrier Agreggation)
    2. 10 or 15 MHz of Band 2 LTE (paired with Band 17 through Carrier Agreggation makes for an excellent mix of capacity and coverage)
    3. 10 MHz of Band 4 (Block A to be specific though I wholly doubt this)

Digicel has sent out texts to subscribers in St. Ann, indicating it's in the process of upgrading some sites in the parish to LTE. FLOW on the other hand, I assume, is at the end of the testing period for the North Coast sites given their intention to go live fully this month... I'd love to see some diagnostic data on the sites out in Trelawny and St. Ann from Digicel, to see whether they match the behemoth that is FLOW LTE and the massive capacity it has behind it. My guess is:

1. 20 MHz of Band 3 LTE (which would be standalone and incompatible with Carrier Agreggation)
    2. 10 or 15 MHz of Band 2 LTE (paired with Band 17 through Carrier Agreggation makes for an excellent mix of capacity and coverage)
    3. 10 MHz of Band 4 (Block A to be specific though I wholly doubt this)
    Alas,Digicel responds to Flows dominance. Let's see how this plays out. Do you think Flow will allow all thier LTE sites. Once turned on, to give speeds like what you have shown here?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Alas,Digicel responds to Flows dominance. Let's see how this plays out. Do you think Flow will allow all thier LTE sites. Once turned on, to give speeds like what you have shown here?.
    That's a great question actually... the exact network dimensions may vary from place to place. While FLOW may easily be able to remotely upgrade backhaul capacity (all the way from Barranquilla, Colombia) to its sites in places like Kingston, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios for example, rural sites take a bit more work, especially in a place like St. Ann which is predominantly rural in situation. Microwave links can definitely do the job of providing gigE speeds to rural sites (as we've seen in deployments worldwide). The only issue or unsolved question is if FLOW will be using the full 20 MHz of Band 4 everywhere. I know for sure that they're using it in Kingston & MoBay and I presume they're using it in Ocho Rios and Mandeville as well. Thing is... network providers never usually spend more than they have to on backhaul so if the demand for that much data capacity isn't there, they won't do it. Urban areas in Jamaica will certainly eat up that 20 MHz like hot bread (take a look at the 25 Mbit/s average speeds in New Kingston.... that's ALOT of data sessions & a great deal of network load). IMO most rural areas should just get DC-HSPA over 1900 MHz (42 Mbit/s peak) or 5 MHz of Band 5 LTE (37.5 Mbit/s peak... with a 850 MHz GSM turndown).

Of course... I could be wrong... Cable & Wireless is vertically and horizontally integrated for the most part. They provide their own backhaul, switching center, overseas links, data centres etc. They may very well go 20 MHz in rural areas too... just because they can! Not so for Digicel unfortunately.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

That's a great question actually... the exact network dimensions may vary from place to place. While FLOW may easily be able to remotely upgrade backhaul capacity (all the way from Barranquilla, Colombia) to its sites in places like Kingston, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios for example, rural sites take a bit more work, especially in a place like St. Ann which is predominantly rural in situation. Microwave links can definitely do the job of providing gigE speeds to rural sites (as we've seen in deployments worldwide). The only issue or unsolved question is if FLOW will be using the full 20 MHz of Band 4 everywhere. I know for sure that they're using it in Kingston & MoBay and I presume they're using it in Ocho Rios and Mandeville as well. Thing is... network providers never usually spend more than they have to on backhaul so if the demand for that much data capacity isn't there, they won't do it. Urban areas in Jamaica will certainly eat up that 20 MHz like hot bread (take a look at the 25 Mbit/s average speeds in New Kingston.... that's ALOT of data sessions & a great deal of network load). IMO most rural areas should just get DC-HSPA over 1900 MHz (42 Mbit/s peak) or 5 MHz of Band 5 LTE (37.5 Mbit/s peak... with a 850 MHz GSM turndown).

Of course... I could be wrong... Cable & Wireless is vertically and horizontally integrated for the most part. They provide their own backhaul, switching center, overseas links, data centres etc. They may very well go 20 MHz in rural areas too... just because they can! Not so for Digicel unfortunately.
    Interesting, Flow could invest more. But because of vandalism and copper cable theft. They have to be spending a whopping $300 million to repair and replace cables. This socially unacceptable behaviour by these parasites doing this. Will discourage Liberty Global/CWC from giving Jamaica priority and reduce investments. I am extremely worried about this.