Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cisco Certs? Or Nah?

Yung_Jah Guest

Default Cisco Certs? Or Nah?

I am on the map to obtaining my first certification. I want to know for sure if CCNA really requires that one do a lab exam?

To give a rundown of the most current situation, I have a BSc in Computer Information Science and 2 years of experience working with computers at a PC store.

Should I still pursue A+? If not, what can you recommend that I do from home in preparation for an exam?

In my experience most companies do not need a CCNA. Mostly the financial institutions and larger organizations with multiple locations. The majority of the available jobs are in family owned companies with 50 to 100 employees. They need a full time or part time network administrator.

I would recommend getting the basic A+ and Microsoft certifications first. After that, do a CCNA to make yourself more competitive. I have seen too many CCNA people on this forum complain because they cannot leverage the certification.

It is just basic supply and demand.

Personally. I'd say only get Cisco certification if that's where you want to go or if the place you're working at (or plan to work at) needs it.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    In my experience most companies do not need a CCNA. Mostly the financial institutions and larger organizations with multiple locations. The majority of the available jobs are in family owned companies with 50 to 100 employees. They need a full time or part time network administrator.

I would recommend getting the basic A+ and Microsoft certifications first. After that, do a CCNA to make yourself more competitive. I have seen too many CCNA people on this forum complain because they cannot leverage the certification.

It is just basic supply and demand.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Personally. I'd say only get Cisco certification if that's where you want to go or if the place you're working at (or plan to work at) needs it.
    I'll assume that I can prepare for this exam from home, though I won't have practical experience with CISCO products.

Most certifications can be prepared for from home. The things is that a classroom for Cisco may give you some hands-on with their stuff. You can buy other things like CBT Nuggets or such and they do work - but IMO nothing beats the actual hands-on. If you've done most of the stuff in your field then you may not need much of the class. You could just run through the material to make sure you have the proper names and jargon.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Most certifications can be prepared for from home. The things is that a classroom for Cisco may give you some hands-on with their stuff. You can buy other things like CBT Nuggets or such and they do work - but IMO nothing beats the actual hands-on. If you've done most of the stuff in your field then you may not need much of the class. You could just run through the material to make sure you have the proper names and jargon.
    Right. The big issue is that, these CISCO classes are mainly based in Kingston as I am living in Manchester with a full time job. So it seems I am stuck at running through the materials.

I hope that someone can explain to me the fascination with CCNA certification. I can understand getting CCNA certified after getting the A+ and Microsoft certifications. I have spoken to a number of I.T. department heads. None will hire someone who has CCNA unless they have these other basic skills.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I hope that someone can explain to me the fascination with CCNA certification. I can understand getting CCNA certified after getting the A+ and Microsoft certifications. I have spoken to a number of I.T. department heads. None will hire someone who has CCNA unless they have these other basic skills.

Am I missing something?
    CISCO markets their certs well,

Most companies dont know this but hiring a CISCO certified professional gives the company access to discounts on CISCO branded equipment.

I have no idea if any local company takes advantage of this.

I prefer the Network + cert as its vendor neutral. covers the basics just the same. esp. if you dont plan on doing CCNP or any other follow up CISCO cert after.
    THANK GOD

CISCO certification - IMO - is for persons that intend to work with companies using those devices, or already working in a company that supports or uses them. This gives upward mobility or specialization in that field. CISCO is one of the highest paying certificates worldwide.

https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-e...ertifications/

Even a quick Google search will show that. It's at #7, #8 & #9 in the link above - all CISCO. Oh and #13 as well. It even gets honorable mentions.
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 16, 2016 at 02:39 PM.