Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digicel Play Router HG8245Q (Remote Access)

I doubt there is much of a solution. Everyone appears to be behind a NAT so that limits access to your systems internally. If the world transitioned to IPv6 then this NAT rubbish and limited IPv4 addresses being available then everyone could get a real IP address and exist on the Internet how its supposed to be.

Since the majority of home internet users just surf the net and by net I mean Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc, they would be unaffected by any NAT. Techies are the ones that are mostly affected

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Critics of carrier-grade NAT argue the following aspects:

• Like any form of NAT, it breaks the end-to-end principle.
    • It has significant security, scalability, and reliability problems, by virtue of being stateful.
    • It makes record-keeping for law-enforcement operations more difficult, except if the translation of the addresses is logged.
    • It makes it impossible to host services.
    • It does not solve the IPv4 address exhaustion problem when a public IP address is needed, such as in web hosting.
    Lets hope this is only a temporary situation as it is bound to cause lots of trouble.

They will milk it for all the cash they can get until they are forced to upgrade.

I hope people know about this before they switch.

No tech blog site in Jamaica wrote about this? -_-
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

There have been various threads here with people discussing their issues but no blog has highlighted as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    I'm in Kingston 06.

I have had a major issue with Digicel and their completely locked down Gateway/Router from day one.
    Even the manufacturer (Huawei) tells me there is no reason to do so.
    I assume Digicel does it to prevent inexperienced users from mucking up their settings.
    I am deeply pissed off about it as I install LAN systems for a living and I cannot configure anything without failure of connection to the WAN.
    I'm even more pissed off that I have repeatedly requested technical support communication from Digicel and after over a month have not had contact from anyone there.
    My anger grows... Same crap, different company :-(

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    There have been various threads here with people discussing their issues but no blog has highlighted as far as I know.
    Oh ok. That would be a deal breaker for me.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality