Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digicel Play Router HG8245Q (Remote Access)

Question Digicel Play Router HG8245Q (Remote Access)

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the routers Digicel are using for their play promotion gives remote access to its administrative panel with no way of disabling it. (Huawei HG8245Q) and also need a few opinions on weather I might not know enough to make their version of port forwarding work. or is it that we don't get an actual public IP address from them? the IP I obtained through PPPoE it seems, says 100.96.x.x, and its an actual IP but not the IP I get when I ask google "whats my ip"...which is like 104.244.x.x. I want to host a webserver and flow network worked just fine for this. I think I know a fairly good amount to fix things like this but their setup seems very unusual. its like their network is behaving like a router itself, but I might need some help right here. and here's a site with some more info on what I found about the router: http://www.websec.ca/advisories/view...-remote-access

Digicel does not provide you with a real IP address. Contact their technical support assistance with Port forwarding but I am pretty sure you will need to use some form of Dynamic DNS service as the IP address changes quite consistently.

Hmm.. and here I thought I was just getting a faster connection with no complications. Everyone on the connection is seemingly behind a Carrier-grade NAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT It's faster but not as useful with this in mind. and I'm guessing since we're behind a NAT only all those on the NAT too can access another costumers remote panel? and no one on the outside public internet? Still not very safe. I'm just guessing here now but I need to test it with another Digicel Play connection to verify. DNS as an alternative? You lost me. Couldn't they just assign me a static IP through MAC? then forward ports? I still have flow for now and thought I'd give it up before month end, but with this in mind... also, would anyone know why even though their STB(Set Top Box) supports wifi they still ran a regular Cat5 cable from the router to the Box? what's strange though is the STB works on the cable but when connected via wifi, from the same router it has problems connecting to the EDS Server(God knows what that is) but works fine on the Cable. Aren't they the same in the sense that the router still assigns a dynamic ip? so why does it fail when connected through wifi but not cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Minions View Post
    Hmm.. and here I thought I was just getting a faster connection with no complications. Everyone on the connection is seemingly behind a Carrier-grade NAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT It's faster but not as useful with this in mind. and I'm guessing since we're behind a NAT only all those on the NAT too can access another costumers remote panel? and no one on the outside public internet? Still not very safe. I'm just guessing here now but I need to test it with another Digicel Play connection to verify. DNS as an alternative? You lost me. Couldn't they just assign me a static IP through MAC? then forward ports? I still have flow for now and thought I'd give it up before month end, but with this in mind... also, would anyone know why even though their STB(Set Top Box) supports wifi they still ran a regular Cat5 cable from the router to the Box? what's strange though is the STB works on the cable but when connected via wifi, from the same router it has problems connecting to the EDS Server(God knows what that is) but works fine on the Cable. Aren't they the same in the sense that the router still assigns a dynamic ip? so why does it fail when connected through wifi but not cable?

Dynamic DNS so software keeps track of your ip address when it changes..... because your IP will change unless you pay for a static IP.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

No I don't mind it changing, since it does with Flow too every now and then. I just want to have an actual IP that's connected directly to the outside internet without being behind anything. Flow wanted you to pay for firewall services, but with Digicel you could say your getting it free. and I'd rather not use VPN which I came across, since that involves more expenses. I'd revert to Flow without a second though, but it isn't my decision alone.

No I don't mind it changing, since it does with Flow too every now and then. I just want to have an actual IP that's connected directly to the outside internet without being behind anything. Flow wanted you to pay for firewall services, but with Digicel you could say your getting it free. and I'd rather not use VPN which I came across, since that involves more expenses. I'd revert to Flow without a second though, but it isn't my decision alone.

You don't mind it changing? How does that work for you when it changes? How do your users connect after the Ip changes?

No one mentioned anything about VPN.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

haha hmm, It's not a permanent service, more like for running a game server where I'd just tell everyone the new IP and they'd update it with the new one. or if I wanted to have access to a ftp server I ran on a my PC through another connection. if it was something serious I would probably need to buy a domain name along with all those other requirements.

haha hmm, It's not a permanent service, more like for running a game server where I'd just tell everyone the new IP and they'd update it with the new one. or if I wanted to have access to a ftp server I ran on a my PC through another connection. if it was something serious I would probably need to buy a domain name along with all those other requirements.
    Ok Dynamic DNS saves you the problem of telling everyone a new IP and you don't need to buy anything. Places offer free services.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Okay Vegeta-sama.. I think I'll have to look into that. and free services are always extremely unreliable from my experience. I think before I even think about DynDNS I should make sure I can have some incoming connection through Digicel? cuz from what I understand so far even if DynDNS keeps track of my IP, all incoming connection to Digicel's public IP would just be dropped? cuz it seems 100.64.x.x - 100.124.x.x is a Carrier's private IP range. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses I guess there's not many options from what you guys have said. so much for "only fiber to the home" with these limitations. and with Lime taking over Flow.. =_=

Hmm, well from what I just tested it seems although the routers are accessible through Digicel's assigned IP(locally) and the router's default gateway.. so far, Digicel might be utilizing AP Isolation. I didn't know we had such interesting techs.. that's a relief. now I just need my DYNAMIC public IP address. not being NAT'd or any firewall!! >.> these companies tend to like spoon feeding everyone. and apparently Jamaican's like being spoon-fed too it seems, going by who they vote for. I wanna rant on that too but I'll not. This country seems to be progressing the slowest. too many idiots that only see things one way. we need a completely new system, maybe new leaders. corruption everywhere. yet if you stand and try to make a change you'll probably just be shot by one of those same idiots, that only likes being spood-fed, and not work for anything. Thanks for both your time in answering, I'll just keep looking around until I find a solution.