Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: FLOW Internet island-wide upgrade

The backbone isn't the problem, its the last mile connection to the end users. Look how long it took to roll-out in the various communities. Imagine them doing them that all over again with Fibre connections that are more delicate aka longer to install. HFC will be here for a while...

Yea there is no financially benefit for Flow to switch to FTTH. Unless their competitor offers speed like google fibre 1 gig down, 1 gig up and even then the cable industry finds a way to keep up (DOSCIS 3.1). As a customer I wouldn't pay $70 USD for google fibre which for me would sit idle most of the time anyways. I think I'm looking forward to a future where maybe a 100/100 Mbit internet connection is the standard in Jamaica (big maybe, but hopeful) and HFC can dish that out easily with current technologies, plus its much easier to handle last mile equipment.

Flow, Lime are as dead as they should be. Lets wait and see what Liberty brings to the table.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Do we really need more than 100mb in the home? Well I guess at the rate at which we are consuming media I guess 100mb will soon be the norm.

For businesses they definitely need to offer much greater speeds so they can start investing there.

And that will only be done if competition offers better.

yep.. 100mb will be like 1mbit vs dialup back in the day.. but eventually - file sizes get bigger we crave more clearer/sharper images/videos.....games with sizes of several GBs, 720p/1080p HD is almost the daily driver - for example
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    Flow, Lime are as dead as they should be. Lets wait and see what Liberty brings to the table.
    Well, if the acquisition happens, one thing I am sure of is that FLOW will replace it's AVS service with the Liberty's Horizon Mediabox and bring true entertainment to the homes of Caribbean nationals. They may also bring quite exclusive content (Liberty has interest stake in quite a few media houses like ITV in the UK and various other entities) and will most likely give Digicel a whole lot of hell. Liberty Global operates Switzerland's largest cable comapny, UPC Cablecom as well as Virgin Media in Ireland, Virgin Mobile in the UK and Ziggo in The Netherlands (The country's largest cable operator). On top of this, there are rumblings as of recent of a merger between Vodafone (yes, that Vodafone... the huge multinational telecoms operator) and Liberty Global valued at about £140bn. If this new merger happens, FLOW Mobile may just become Vodafone Caribbean or Virgin Mobile or stay the same. Not to mention them possibly owning ALL links leaving the Caribbean and some crucial ones leaving Latin America. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on this merger. Don't think FLOW/LIME is dead and buried; with this much firepower behind them, they're coming.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Do we really need more than 100mb in the home? Well I guess at the rate at which we are consuming media I guess 100mb will soon be the norm.

For businesses they definitely need to offer much greater speeds so they can start investing there.

And that will only be done if competition offers better.
    Flow Does offer high speeds via their direct fiber offerings...in the Gbps if required. I do not think that the ISPs are a limitations when it comes to overseas investment.

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    yep.. 100mb will be like 1mbit vs dialup back in the day.. but eventually - file sizes get bigger we crave more clearer/sharper images/videos.....games with sizes of several GBs, 720p/1080p HD is almost the daily driver - for example
    I agree we will need more that 100Mbps and that should happen soon. But I am not sure about 1Gig as they are pushing to get more efficient web and Video standards. However time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Well, if the acquisition happens, one thing I am sure of is that FLOW will replace it's AVS service with the Liberty's Horizon Mediabox and bring true entertainment to the homes of Caribbean nationals. They may also bring quite exclusive content (Liberty has interest stake in quite a few media houses like ITV in the UK and various other entities) and will most likely give Digicel a whole lot of hell. Liberty Global operates Switzerland's largest cable comapny, UPC Cablecom as well as Virgin Media in Ireland, Virgin Mobile in the UK and Ziggo in The Netherlands (The country's largest cable operator). On top of this, there are rumblings as of recent of a merger between Vodafone (yes, that Vodafone... the huge multinational telecoms operator) and Liberty Global valued at about £140bn. If this new merger happens, FLOW Mobile may just become Vodafone Caribbean or Virgin Mobile or stay the same. Not to mention them possibly owning ALL links leaving the Caribbean and some crucial ones leaving Latin America. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on this merger. Don't think FLOW/LIME is dead and buried; with this much firepower behind them, they're coming.
    Last edited by BNOVA; Dec 31, 2015 at 05:18 PM.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I'm gonna upgrade to the 100mb package just for a month and see how fast it really is....

20MB I'm on now really isn't bad.

https://discoverflow.co/jm/eblast/151228rock/index.html

Got that in the mail.

20Mb for $3599
    THANK GOD

Spoke with a Flow CC. . The increase will not affect people who have Bundle Packages.. Only people who have internet alone will be affected.