Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLOW Internet island-wide upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would you mind giving an example of one person exhausting a 15MB connection.
    At any given time I have like 5 5-10gb torrent files pulling down... I'm browsing the net with like 20 tabs open.. TV on with Netflix... my two phones plus iPad connected.. so 15mb can just about do all if that...

um...doesnt pulling any torrent utilize ur max bandwidth anyhow unless u enable a limiter in the client...dont think torrent is a fair way of saying 15mb fully utilized

to test tho..i would say...stream a 1080p video on YouTube and monitor your network meter...see what its pulling down and the multiply it.. or use some 720p videos

I credit most of my Bandwidth usage to Netflix... uTorrent accounts for about 5gb or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    um...doesnt pulling any torrent utilize ur max bandwidth anyhow unless u enable a limiter in the client...dont think torrent is a fair way of saying 15mb fully utilized

to test tho..i would say...stream a 1080p video on YouTube and monitor your network meter...see what its pulling down and the multiply it.. or use some 720p videos
    Exactly if you torrent a lot not even 100 Meg connection will be enough for them. Rent a server from leaseweb you get a 1 gig connection up and down torrent there and tranfer the file to you machine. The money you save on not running a computer 24/7 to seed files will add up to the cost for the server.

To stream 1080p video with high quality audio you need between 5 ~ 10 Mbps depending on the bitrate of the video encoding. 4K streaming is another story 20 Mbps and up. Since I moved torrenting to a seed box I barely max my 15Mps (now 20) on streaming and browsing.

EDIT: AND BTW I maxed the seed box 1G down and uplink when transferring popular files. Whatever bandwidth you got trust me torrents will max it.
    Last edited by leoandru; Dec 22, 2015 at 07:26 PM.

Information that has been leaked (listen out for announcements):

Flow Rock is now at 20 Mb
    Flow Rave is now at 25 Mb

Flow has been aware of issues being faced by customers and have been working (and continue to work) on improving internet performance especially in highly concentrated areas.

Persons are reporting improved speeds and wider island-wide coverage. Parishes such as Portland and areas on the north coast that previously had challenges can now look forward to improved service.
    I recommend Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RobyG View Post

Flow has been aware of issues being faced by customers and have been working (and continue to work) on improving internet performance especially in highly concentrated areas.

Persons are reporting improved speeds and wider island-wide coverage. Parishes such as Portland and areas on the north coast that previously had challenges can now look forward to improved service.
    i use to have problems in the molynes rd area and now it has been solved. getting full 25 megs on the flow absolute plan. Wished they had bumped FLOW absolute to like 30 megs as its really expensive if u really look deep into the price

By the way legacy flow stopped offering prepaid cable internet and landline wow. also all legacy plans gone

Quote Originally Posted by RobyG View Post

Well they phased out Rock and Rave... it's now Essential (15MB) < Plus (20mb) < Max (50MB) < Turbo (100MB)

I'm on Essential and still getting 15MB.. so gonna wait and see if I get upgraded...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well they phased out Rock and Rave... it's now Essential (15MB) < Plus (20mb) < Max (50MB) < Turbo (100MB)

I'm on Essential and still getting 15MB.. so gonna wait and see if I get upgraded...
    Same here.

I'd requested FTH back in 2014 which was assured by Mr. Dwight Williams the senior person in charge of ADSL only to hear they had scrapped the plan following the acquisition of Flow.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    Same here.

I'd requested FTH back in 2014 which was assured by Mr. Dwight Williams the senior person in charge of ADSL only to hear they had scrapped the plan following the acquisition of Flow.
    Interesting. I honestly don't think we will see any FTTH from Flow anytime soon especially with DOCSIS 3.1 a thing.

um...what about the upload speed....im still stuck at 1mb upload...which is crazy