Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: FLOW Internet island-wide upgrade

Cable and Wireless doing it big in Panama..
    Is this a sign of things to come?

Cable & Wireless Panama (CWP) reaches 500Mbps
    http://go-jamaica.com/pressrelease/item.php?id=5906
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Good press release but as a techie I challenge you to read deeper. From their supplied pdf...

About G.fast
    G.fast is a digital subscriber line (DSL) standard for local loops, with performance targets between
    150 Mbps and 1 Gbps, depending on loop length.
    I would bet that the field trial was a few feet from the local loop (exchange) to attain those speeds. DSL is dead and this is just a stop gap to prevent ripping up the existing infrastructure that can no longer keep up. With some of the copper lines I have seen good luck trying that here in Jamaica. I have family that are less than a min away (driving) from the exchange and tried to upgrade to 4Mbps and it was very unstable and had to revert.

Just to show you how Cable and Wireless has abandoned DSL locally, from their broadband page for the DSL packages

High-Speed Broadband Plans
    For residents primarily in Hanover, Westmoreland, Trelawny, St. Elizabeth, St. Mary, Portland, St. Thomas.

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/internet/plans-rates

All rural locations, everyone else is its Flow's cable (HFC) network. HFC and Fibre, the only way to go.
    Last edited by psilos; Jan 7, 2016 at 09:29 AM.

ok 500mb would no way in hell be via dsl lol
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Well thats what was claimed. Real world speeds will probably be 100Mbps if the Exchange is in eye sight and the copper was recently wired not the 1960s - 70s copper in most older homes and the lines are crystal clear from interference.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Well thats what was claimed. Real world speeds will probably be 100Mbps if the Exchange is in eye sight and the copper was recently wired not the 1960s - 70s copper in most older homes and the lines are crystal clear from interference.
    Lime/Cable and Wireless/Flow or whatever they choose to brand themselves as does not change the fact than only a handful of the exchanges have been upgraded since the 1970s only highlighting the poor service offered. One can only hope that the impending new management will CLEAN HOUSE when they take over and fire those who have failed to do the jobs we have paid them to do.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Has anyone ever tried Flow internet MAX (50 MBps) or TURBO (100 MBps) internet packages?

and comparative purpose see Digicel rates below

Last edited by BountyKilla; Jul 21, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
    PHONE: XR

Quote Originally Posted by BountyKilla View Post
    Has anyone ever tried Flow internet MAX (50 MBps) or TURBO (100 MBps) internet packages?

and comparative purpose see Digicel rates below

Haven't tried those plans before, however i've been waiting for Digicel to reach Old Harbour Area.

They offer far more upload speed in each package like 5x more and from what others tell me, less downtime and low ping rates.

Every Thursday Night my connection is down, and sometime doesn't come back til Saturday evening.

And I can't get compensated for it, every time i have to call in and they still don't reflect it on my bill.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Haven't tried those plans before, however i've been waiting for Digicel to reach Old Harbour Area.

They offer far more upload speed in each package like 5x more and from what others tell me, less downtime and low ping rates.

Every Thursday Night my connection is down, and sometime doesn't come back til Saturday evening.

And I can't get compensated for it, every time i have to call in and they still don't reflect it on my bill.

Well FLOW lost a customer as i'm moving over to Digicel as i cant be paying 14k for standard cable without HD and 25 megs they evil

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Well FLOW lost a customer as i'm moving over to Digicel as i cant be paying 14k for standard cable without HD and 25 megs they evil
    If you're not aware, Flow has the new Horizon/AVS Platform. This system comes with a lot of HD channels at no additional cost. It also features the play from beginning, recording and storage to the cloud features. And Video On Demand services. You should give them a call, so that you can upgrade.

I do agree with you on the Broadband speeds, they are to slow for the price. Dont see them changing that for now, So I would definitely support you going over to Digicel. As Digicel is FTTH, which is way faster. If Digicel is available in you're area, then go for it.