Thread: Outlook Express DBX 2GB File Limit

Default Outlook Express DBX 2GB File Limit

We have a client with Outlook Express that went over the 2GB limit for their sent items. We have taken out the 2009 and 2010 sent email from the sent items and created two new folders, which created a 750MB and 350MB DBX files. However, the size of the file (Sent Items.DBX) did not shrink. We have looked at all the commercial options but don't know which one to consider.
    If you do a quick Google search (example: Outlook Express 2GB Limit Fix) you find many options, but we don't know which one is worth it and if it really works.
    What do you guys recommend? Is there a way to edit the file to recognize the "new, lesser size"? Help!

If your client is determined to use OE then go in - archive your stuff (have a backup) - move all items that have attachments to a different folder.

If your client is open to options then introduce them to Thunderbird. Migrate all mail to TB then call it a day.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeHeath;790475
    [I
    What do you guys recommend? Is there a way to edit the file to recognize the "new, lesser size"? Help![/I]
    You can try compacting each folder one at a time, also make sure you backup your emails before you attempt to do anything. Outlook express corrupt mail so easily sometimes..SMH

I would recommend you consider migrating from Outlook express to Windows Live Mail.
    Windows Live Mail is Microsoft's Outlook Express replacement, its has versions for XP/7/8 so when you ready to upgrade from XP you wont have problems moving to 7/8. Thunderbird is also a good replacement but Windows Live Mail is more familiar with "Windows Centric Users".

I did a migration (20GB+ mail) from Outlook express (XP) to Windows Live Mail (7) and had little or no issue.

Good Luck!