Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digicel Play targets 150,000 homes

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    DOCSIS 3.1 can exetend the life of the HFC network and keep FLOW competitive but I am not certain as to what FLOW plans to do with DOCSIS 2.0 or ADSL. ADSL could be upgraded to VDSL2+ (yes, I know, the speeds promised from such diminish quickly the farther out from the exchange you go but it's rate of "decay" so to speak slows much more relative to VDSL and ADSL) but I think that copper needs to go... It will take years to achieve this but their network is suffering from it between frequent thefts to inability to instablity in adverse weather plus I'm sure the infrastructure is aging too. Digicel is working like a jack rabbit to get FTTH in full sqing in the KMA and if FLOW doesn't look into a DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade and pull it's socks up and shun ineffective leadership, Digicel could do them a number as they did in 2001.

Businees customers on the otherhand have Fiber and MPLS options from FLOW (C&W Business) and sole Fiber from Digicel. It will be interesting to see what happens in that space.

P.S. What's happening to Digicel 4G Broadband now?
    Flow has been using DOCSIS3.0 for a number of years now. That's how they can offer up to 100Mbps download. They only sell wideband modems now and THAT type of modem is a requirement for AVS (as its is IP based extra bandwidth is reserved for the video). Those with the older modems are using DOCSIS 2.0. Completely agree with you about ADSL it just needs to go. It's old and decaying and not being maintained. VDSL with only cause further issues with distance and attenuation so it's not worth the expense. Plus I am sure that's why LIME purchased Flow in the first place (their network).

Still no launch date? Have the contractors driving around even hinted..at anything?

Quote Originally Posted by demoyii View Post
    Still no launch date? Have the contractors driving around even hinted..at anything?
    Launch date? For what tho?
    Is the launch supposed to signify that they finish completed 150k homes?
    Or that they will be starting to target 150k homes?

Because they are advertising their Digicel Play online, in the papers, and probably on tv too.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Launch date? For what tho?
    Is the launch supposed to signify that they finish completed 150k homes?
    Or that they will be starting to target 150k homes?

Because they are advertising their Digicel Play online, in the papers, and probably on tv too.
    I went to the Telestar office in Constant Spring not too long ago to signup. When asked when I can get an installation the response was "when it launches". As far as I know and everyone in my community knows, it's not ready.

This will be similar to when Flow came to Jamaica... It took all if 5 years before I Got Flow lol and some people still can't get it all now..

Quote Originally Posted by demoyii View Post
    I went to the Telestar office in Constant Spring not too long ago to signup. When asked when I can get an installation the response was "when it launches". As far as I know and everyone in my community knows, it's not ready.
    I have a friend who is a Telstar customer. They got Digicel Play cable service now. They are on Constant Spring road. They changed out the telstar cable box and put in the new digicel play modem along with the new cable box.

So I not sure if is just your area Digicel hasn't reached yet or you spoke to someone who wasn't in the mood to give your correct info.

EDIT: And to add this quote from the Observer article:
    The roll-out of Digicel Cable service began with transitioning Telstar Cable Limited customers acquired last year, and will continue over the next few months in the Corporate Area, as well as Portmore and Spanish Town. The company aims to continue the roll-out of Digicel Cable and Digicel Play across Jamaica over the next two years, as "we already have ... the business backbone in parts of Kingston and MoBay, and the two are linked," Graham said.
    Source: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...ices-_19239692
    So telstar customers should be the first ones to get the service.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Dec 22, 2015 at 09:43 PM.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Digicel has not Hard Launched yet. Cable business is a very Expensive one.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Seems Digicel Play soon drop in Mobay, I see some DigiPlay Vans all over the place running fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Seems Digicel Play soon drop in Mobay, I see some DigiPlay Vans all over the place running fibre.
    I can't wait! Need to ditch FLOW Broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    I can't wait! Need to ditch FLOW Broadband.
    And as soon as it's rolled out in other places besides Kingson / St. Andrew / St. Catherine you going find that FLOW suddenly ups the ante. I'm locked into a 2 year contract with FLOW on their new services, but I don't expect Digicel to reach Clarendon, Manchester, St. James, Trelawny or the Negril area anytime soon. As with FLOW they do have corporate customers with some services, but the residential will have to wait a while.

And the worse part is this. Can you imagine that while FLOW have HFC rolled out in most of the country, a place like MILE GULLY in Manchester has FTTH? Heard from a FLOW employee. Haven't seen for myself to confirm. But it's crazy. Happy for them still. Soon consider moving go into that bush..........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".