Thread: Credit Bureau - Would Ja benefit from having one?

Default Credit Bureau - Would Ja benefit from having one?

I believe that Ja. would benefit from having a Credit Bureau for a number of reasons:
    1) Increased security & regulation of online transactions
    2) Increased regulation of financial transactions in general, which would lead to:
    i) Decreased interest rates
    ii) Greater access to financing

With regard to the first item, Jamaica would definitely benefit a central repository for a persons financial identification and track record. As for as the ID. We need a bonafide means of identifiying an individual, a security id or login name is you may. This applies to a lot of areas of application, not the least of which being or electorial system. However, I will constrain my argument to financial matters. At present the name of address of an individual is almost the only means an instituition has to identify a person. If the person does not have passport it makes it even worse and getting a bogus driver's license easy so using one as ID doesn't mitigate the problem very much.

Once we have that we can associate it with a persons track record. It would aid in identifying the person online (secure sites of course). And it could be universially applied. Meaning that institutions could go online and know which individual they are dealing with.

It is the same with transactions. Right now institution have to go through a lot to figure out one's credit worthness. They must do a lot of investigation to figure out if one has been in fraud or has a lot of debts. This is expensive for them and inconvinient to us. We have have to supply a lot more colateral and documentation. If we had a credit bureau then the instituition could just get the info from them. Less expense, less time, less hassle.

The direct result is that interest rates would go down. If you have any doubt check the recent exchange betwen the JMA and the commerical banks of Ja about the disparity in lending rate. One of the retorts of the bank is the difficulty of accessing and individuals credit worthiness.

Financing would also be more available to individuals. With the walls of collateral broken down people, even of middle to lower economic class, with a good track record of meeting there financial responsibility could have greater access to funds. They would be rewarded for they frugality rather than being asked to "prove it" with collateral by lending instituitions.

A credit bureau would grease the wheels of financial machinery in Jamaica especially against the background of increased electronic transactions. It would open up a world of increased access to financing through cyberspace. More money less paper.
    Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take but by the moments that take your breath away.

Default Semi-Privatized Identity Verification Company

The verification of identity will make or break the system. However, a solution would be a semi private company that does biometric identification. The biometric information would be tied to your TRN (which would be required to do business with ANY company, not just the governement). The TRn would be linked as follows:

TRN
    1. fingerprint and
    2. DNA ( for any government personnell and contractors to the government)

I always wondered if we had any such repository in place. I do believe that people like
    me would benifit from such an institution, but then again I know a lot of people who have
    a bad history when it comes said topic heh.

Regards,
    Pogi Tuner.

There is such an organisation locally, though not as technologically advanced with biometric data, etc. Unfortunately I can't offer any more details
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by buffteethR
    The verification of identity will make or break the system. However, a solution would be a semi private company that does biometric identification. The biometric information would be tied to your TRN (which would be required to do business with ANY company, not just the governement). The TRn would be linked as follows:

TRN
    1. fingerprint and
    2. DNA ( for any government personnell and contractors to the government)
    This is indeed a good idea. I gotta look into this more. Hey if one of us could push it this and get it widely accepted I think they would make a lot off money. Just think about the guy that introduced Multilink. :-)
    Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take but by the moments that take your breath away.

Default Biometric based Credit Bureau

whoever starts this in jamaica will be a rich person. it could eventualy be expanded to the caribbean. it could also be linked to credit bureaus worldwide. I could this being a great benefit for reducing rates becuase the risk to banks would be greatly reduced since people financial data could be link on a large scale. a bank is in the busines of making money at low risk. Reduce the risk, yuh imporve thelending environment and rates.

This is a good idea but I live in the states. So unless a whiteman cometo Jamaica and implement it Idont see it happening.