Thread: Nexus 5X Nexus 6P thread

Default Nexus 5X Nexus 6P thread

Good

A
    • lways-on "Ok Google" voice commands are some of the best features we've seen added to a smartphone, and these are two of the few devices that support them.
    • Ambient display allows you to see a notification without having to unlock or touch the phone.
    • An excellent camera. That's right, a Nexus camera is finally good.
    • Stock Android's material design means you'll have a software package that is consistent with the rest of the Android ecosystem.
    • The most secure Android phones. Three years of fast monthly security updates means that while the rest of the Android ecosystem is vulnerable, these devices should be OK.
    • The fastest, most reliable OS updates mean you'll get new features faster than anyone else and (hopefully) won't be abandoned by your OEM.
    • The fingerprint reader is fast and accurate, and the new APIs in Marshmallow mean apps should support it soon.

Bad

• Large top and bottom bezels feel like a step backward for phone design.
    • Anorexic 8mm and 7.5mm bodies could have been expanded to fit more battery. The thinness war is dumb.
    • The rear-mounted fingerprint sensor won't work out for everyone.

Ugly

No Qualcomm quick charging or wireless charging. If you invested in either of these power standards, you're out of luck.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...d-ecosystem/1/
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Wow everyone seems to be stepping up their game except samsung.

The 6P is awesome.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Got my 6P in hand today and boy was it worth the wait and the hassle. I had gotten a moto x pure right before the announcement and decided to send it back and get the 6P instead. One month of using a blackberry Q10 which wasn't as bad as I remembered (lol) and the agonizing wait for the 6P to ship didn't make the time any less agonizing.

Quick hands on review: It feels premium, the aluminum looks great (though I wanted frost but couldn't wait on it) and it performs great. Feel wise, I can use it one handed with either hand without issue, something I struggled to do with the moto x pure and my previous not 3. I'm not sure if the thinness and weight are the contributing factors, but it's easier to hold than some smaller screened phones.

The phone is fast, so fast that pressing the recent apps button usually starts showing the recent apps before the current app is even minimized properly lol. I've never had the recent apps button be this responsive on any android device.

Front facing speakers sound good, but I'm not as blown away by them as I was with the moto x pure. The x pure sounded better but the 6P is louder.

The only gripe I have is with the screen. No, it's not the brightness. The brightness is fine even in sunlight. My issue is with the slight color variations when looking at the screen. The right side is slightly pink and the left side is slightly green. It's not bad but it is noticeable. I fixed the problem however by flashing a custom kernel elementalx which allows me to tweak the display colors and hue etc and I found a great sweets pot where I'm getting great whites and the color variations are all but non existent.

Build quality, superb. I can find no fault even if I was looking for one. All in all a great device and though it's been just one day, I can say that this is the best android phone I've ever used.
    Google Nexus 6P™

Thanks for the quick review, cant say I like that price still, thats like $90,000?

jomo Guest

Do these carry Microsd slots and if not, why isn't that listed in the negatives...

And the colour issue... Flashing a kernel to solve it... How lame is that...

Not sure why these seem to be hit right now

Just goes to show you how lame the game has become... Smh
    Last edited by jomo; Nov 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM.

Price wise I got the 64gb for like $580 with tax which is much better than a note 5 or S6. Re the microsd slot, no it doesn't have one and while it can be viewed as a negative, I usually only use a microsd because internal storage is usually 16gb on most devices though my note 3 was a 32gb model but that wasn't enough. For me 64gb internal memory is more than enough and also way faster than any microsd so I'm good. As to why it's popular, it's simple...its the best android device out now regardless of price, but it's price makes it even more compelling. Are there trade offs? You bet! But not enough to take the accolade away.

It's now almost 4 pm and I have 64% battery left and that's with Google now on, Google now on tap on, ok google from anywhere on as well as location turned on on battery saving mode. With all that off and many other battery saving tactics my note 3 and moto x pure would be in the 20th or 30's by now.
    Google Nexus 6P™

Quote Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
    Got my 6P in hand today and boy was it worth the wait and the hassle. I had gotten a moto x pure right before the announcement and decided to send it back and get the 6P instead. One month of using a blackberry Q10 which wasn't as bad as I remembered (lol) and the agonizing wait for the 6P to ship didn't make the time any less agonizing.

Quick hands on review: It feels premium, the aluminum looks great (though I wanted frost but couldn't wait on it) and it performs great. Feel wise, I can use it one handed with either hand without issue, something I struggled to do with the moto x pure and my previous not 3. I'm not sure if the thinness and weight are the contributing factors, but it's easier to hold than some smaller screened phones.

The phone is fast, so fast that pressing the recent apps button usually starts showing the recent apps before the current app is even minimized properly lol. I've never had the recent apps button be this responsive on any android device.

Front facing speakers sound good, but I'm not as blown away by them as I was with the moto x pure. The x pure sounded better but the 6P is louder.

The only gripe I have is with the screen. No, it's not the brightness. The brightness is fine even in sunlight. My issue is with the slight color variations when looking at the screen. The right side is slightly pink and the left side is slightly green. It's not bad but it is noticeable. I fixed the problem however by flashing a custom kernel elementalx which allows me to tweak the display colors and hue etc and I found a great sweets pot where I'm getting great whites and the color variations are all but non existent.

Build quality, superb. I can find no fault even if I was looking for one. All in all a great device and though it's been just one day, I can say that this is the best android phone I've ever used.
    The color issue... Is that just with your unit?

I havent seen anymore complaints about that.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    The color issue... Is that just with your unit?

I havent seen anymore complaints about that.
    If you check xda and reddit you'll see a few complaints but now I'm thinking it's just the look of the panel and it's not a fault. I say this after comparing the screen to a note 3, note 4 and note 5. They are all kind of pinkish. Coming from the moto x pure with its blindingly white whites on its ips display, I guess everything else will not look as good white level wise.

I'm still glad I tweaked the colors though as it looks better to me now. Typing this on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 which has an amoled screen and it has the same look as well...never noticed it before lol. Wish I'd unnotice though lol.
    Google Nexus 6P™

Got the nexus 6p running on the google fi network, coming from a note 4 night and day finger print scanner is very impressive. Best phone ever in my opinion.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

My typical SOT with my normal usage doing nothing special to save battery - consisting of browsing in chrome, nuff whatsapp and bbm, youtube, playing music via bluetooth while driving etc.

Amazing.
    Last edited by toyanucci; Nov 22, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
    Google Nexus 6P™