Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel Play - FTTH coming to you soon

My guess would be that their modems are not doing NATing and most likely is operating in Bridge Mode. Maybe doing DHCP from their head end and not at the modem...which is strange.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    My guess would be that their modems are not doing NATing and most likely is operating in Bridge Mode. Maybe doing DHCP from their head end and not at the modem...which is strange.
    At first I thought it was because their modem only have 4 network LAN ports.
    But can't you just plug a router into it and connect as many devices through that?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Someone with service should verify if the IP address assigned from the LAN ports is Public or Private. That would clear things up.

I was advised that you can connect more than the amount they display for each plan however the listed amount is an ideal amount to guarantee constant connection.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

For fiber elsewhere the upload and download speeds are usually the same. This needs to start happening here. This shouldn't be an issue for cable and fibre, I understand why dsl would still be an issue.

This is the time of cloud storage. Upload speeds need to go way up locally.

Quote Originally Posted by apocolypse2000_99 View Post
    For fiber elsewhere the upload and download speeds are usually the same. This needs to start happening here. This shouldn't be an issue for cable and fibre, I understand why dsl would still be an issue.

This is the time of cloud storage. Upload speeds need to go way up locally.
    The Digicel FTTH network is asymmetric 10G-PON, to implement symmetric 10G-PON would require more expensive burst mode lasers in the uplink ONT located at each subscriber. Remember the downstream traffic is sent in broadcast mode to all subscribers whereas the for the upstream traffic each subscriber is allocated a TDMA slot.

Basic economics, which residential subscriber would need symmetric speeds when historical network statistics indicate that the downstream/upstream traffic ratio is 80/20 for residential users in Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by williamdw40 View Post
    The Digicel FTTH network is asymmetric 10G-PON, to implement symmetric 10G-PON would require more expensive burst mode lasers in the uplink ONT located at each subscriber. Remember the downstream traffic is sent in broadcast mode to all subscribers whereas the for the upstream traffic each subscriber is allocated a TDMA slot.
    *grabs the English/Tech Speak dictionary*
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

The question to be asked is whether the speeds will be more guaranteed with this than Digicel, need someone to show me ping times and jitter times and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    The question to be asked is whether the speeds will be more guaranteed with this than Digicel, need someone to show me ping times and jitter times and such.
    Along those lines, does Digicel now have their own fibre link out of the Island or are they still using [at least in part] Columbus?

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    Along those lines, does Digicel now have their own fibre link out of the Island or are they still using [at least in part] Columbus/FLOW/LIME/C&W?
    Looks like they have their own. Also - bold section corrected.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...work-_17541704
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".