Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need source code for some (not so old) videogames

Default I need source code for some (not so old) videogames

Fellow villains, I need your help to forward the cause and prestige of Jamaican software development!!!

Aid me with some source code, for these videogame!!!

1. Street Fighter 3 (or any of the CPS 3 engine)
    2. the Metal Slug series
    3. Gameboy Advance Metroid
    4. GBA/DS/PS1 Castlevania
    5. (I know this won't happen) Atomiswave
    6. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
    7. Rez

Aid me, fellow Jamaican villains!! Together, we can create a Jamaica of great programming glory!
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

were these source codes ever publicly released? Most commercial games have no public source code. You best bet would be to search for a open source "engine" on github that matches the type of game you want to make.

The source code isn't available for any of those. The closest you'll get with SF3 and maybe Red Earth is the MUGEN community. They've data mined those games (and many others) to hell and back. Sprites with perfect axis, sounds, damage values, velocities, offsets, frame data, collision boxes, all of that is available.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

@Owen

Actually, quite a few commercial games have had their source code released.

@Makkah

They've data mined those games (and many others) to hell and back. Sprites with perfect axis, sounds, damage values, velocities, offsets, frame data, collision boxes, all of that is available.
    Even better. I'd love the physics especially. What I'm looking at right now is just studying the source code. Reading through the source code and some of the comments. That's it - for now (approx. 4 months). I did find Metroid Fusion yesterday though.

I don't consider "Commented disassembly" to be source code but I guess it is better than nothing.

This is some good source; http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSPACE and you may be able to find some others here (mostly C / C++ code)

I don't consider "Commented disassembly" to be source code but I guess it is better than nothing.
    Yeah, you're right. But what I would considered just as important is the amateur (but professional level) engines and assets that are readily available
    Indeed , some of the 'commented disassembly' stuff puts some of the official stuff to shame, for example the 'Art of Fighting' (ahhh Half-Way-Tree gameshop) has had its Neo-Geo Motorola processor so thoroughly analyzed by enthusiasts that there is nothing that the original apanese designers could possibly add.

What is really intriguing to me is the new , Atomiswave games and their HD sprite design. These graphics are nothing like the X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 I used to play back when we had Half-Way-Tree gameshop and The Zone. i wonder about the possibilities.

I thought Atomiswave died like a decade ago. It certainly didn't have any HD games. Hires maybe, but not HD. Power-wise, Atomiswave was similar to Naomi/Naomi 2, which is what Marvel vs Capcom 2, Guilty Gear X, and Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper ran on. "Modern" arcade games like BlazBlue run on Taito Type X2 boards. Others like Tekken 7 are basically PCs.
    Last edited by Makkah; Oct 20, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

Weekly Update

@Makkah

I thought Atomiswave died like a decade ago. It certainly didn't have any HD games. Hires maybe, but not HD. Power-wise, Atomiswave was similar to Naomi/Naomi 2, which is what Marvel vs Capcom 2, Guilty Gear X, and Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper, ran on. "Modern" arcade games like BlazBlue run on Taito Type X2 boards. Others like Tekken 7 are basically PCs.
    You are correct again, Even the Taito boards are low end PCs, relatively speaking. However, I am aiming for the ARM V.7 as a minimum, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lessons learned so far

1. Better to use open sources than to try to seek out original sources
    2. 2D Fighting games consist of three basic elements 1. a 2d rendering engine 2. Some sort of Finite State Automata System to detect states (hitstun blockstun etc.) 3. Box Collision System (hitboxes)
    3. Developing sprites is extremely labour-intensive. and probably impossible for Jamaica (if one uses 2d rasterized graphics)

Going forth , I believe that it will be easy for me to find source code to read for Metroidvania games.

Also, I believe that going forward, 22d games will begin to use vector graphics with vector engines to offset the labour required to draw sprites. Not rasterized vector graphics - actual vectors.

One may associate vector graphics with ugly shows like the detestable Johnny Test and its overuse of the tween tool, but there has been some excellent examples of the use of vector animation in recent times.

Such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvTWjFM5CbU

From above -

Here are some more examples:

WEBM File

One can definitely see a Dracula-type character being inspired by the above caped character.

Here a small company has developed a Vector based graphics engine for PS4.

Will look at fighting games more. Also will begin to check the Metroidvanias. Await comments/

Weekly updated Cancelled for this week.

However, have been looking at how the game determines input and timing for fighting game moves. This is especially with regard to priority. Its as simple as I thought. Also, modern fighting games just use OO for the character states. I wonder what they did back in the 90s? C struct, or the assembly equivalent?