Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to Windows 10: How much space needed?

Question Upgrading to Windows 10: How much space needed?

Guys a little help here. I have windows 7 wanting to upgrade to windows 10, but my hard drive only has 10 Gb free. Is this enough for the upgrade to work?

Quote Originally Posted by M20 View Post
    Guys a little help here. I have windows 7 wanting to upgrade to windows 10, but my hard drive only has 10 Gb free. Is this enough for the upgrade to work?
    Yes... Why you only have 10GB free?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

What Size HD you got dude... you got lots of movies/mp3's ?
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

If you got the option to reserve your copy and it did the check and said your computer is ready for Windows 10 then that means your good to go.

But still why not backup and take off some stuff to have the recommended 16 gigs needed to install it? I think it will need space to make a backup so you can roll back to Windows 7 if something goes wrong or you choose to.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    If you got the option to reserve your copy and it did the check and said your computer is ready for Windows 10 then that means your good to go.
    Not exactly. Only after you start the upgrade procedure will it check for the necessary hard drive space to do the upgrade.

You need at least 8GB of hard drive space to do the upgrade.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

only 60GB on my SSD. I am one of the early adopters... Soon upgrade though.

But still why not backup and take off some stuff to have the recommended 16 gigs needed to install it? I think it will need space to make a backup so you can roll back to Windows 7 if something goes wrong or you choose to.
    60GB SSD and Terabyte HDD. yeah.. sucks with windows gobbling up the space more and more every day...

I wondering if Windows 10 takes up less space?

60GB SSD and Terabyte HDD. yeah.. sucks with windows gobbling up the space more and more every day...

I wondering if Windows 10 takes up less space?
    Well when I had Windows 7 Pro x64 installed before the upgrade I had like 15 gigs left on my SSD and after the upgrade to Windows 10 I got like 30 gigs free space after removing Windows.old. I think maybe the Windows 7 I have was both 32 and 64 bit why it might have taken up more space, but I'm not sure. Just glad I have enough space for all those updates that are to come in the future.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Well when I had Windows 7 Pro x64 installed before the upgrade I had like 15 gigs left on my SSD and after the upgrade to Windows 10 I got like 30 gigs free space after removing Windows.old. I think maybe the Windows 7 I have was both 32 and 64 bit why it might have taken up more space, but I'm not sure. Just glad I have enough space for all those updates that are to come in the future.

Pow please cut the crap
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Lol only one version is installed at a time Pow.
    No one expects the Inquisition.