Thread: June 30th "leap second" to crash computers

Default June 30th "leap second" to crash computers

Be afraid, be very afraid as another Y2K like event is set to strike global computer systems come Tuesday June 30th,2015, as the world atomic clock seeks to compensate for the slowing down of the earth's rotation by adding one extra second to the clock on June 30th, experts expect this "leap second" could spell doom as computer systems will register it as time going back and go nuts causing system errors and CPU overload.

This is expected to go global, affecting ATMs, air planes, cars, the internet etc So stock up now on guns, ammos, extra cash, food and water for the "leap second" apocalypse

But many programmers are oblivious to leap seconds, and this can also cause problems. The additional seconds happen so infrequently and so irregularly that it makes it difficult for computer companies to catch on to the problem. While Reddit, LinkedIn, Gizmodo and FourSquare will likely remember the lesson they learned three years ago, other sites that didn't experience any issues are likely still "blissfully unaware," Matsakis said.

But the leap second could put more than just computer systems at risk. It's a little over-cautious, Matsakis admits, but he said he would not want to be on board a plane during a leap second. The extra second has been known to interrupt GPS receivers, which could be a problem for pilots.
    Read More

When I was younger I had no idea why something as simple as the date could be so detrimental to computer systems...then one day my PC wouldn't boot because the system clock was fudged (thanks JPS). Fixing this shouldn't be much more than a simple software update though, yes?
    No one expects the Inquisition.

Nay, too late and probably too expensive, only thing you can do now is say your prayers.