Thread: Text Message Code Discovered That Will Shut Down Your iPhone

Default Text Message Code Discovered That Will Shut Down Your iPhone

Apple iPhone users across the globe are sending pranks to one another after realising a simple text message sent from one phone to another can instantly switch off its power.

The message includes Arabic and other non-Roman characters and causes the recipient’s phone to restart and makes it difficult for them to open their Messages app.
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ne-apple-text/
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Wasn't this patched by Apple ???
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    No... lol try and see. beware if you dont put "power" in the text you will have to factory reset any phone that is affected.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    No... lol try and see. beware if you dont put "power" in the text you will have to factory reset any phone that is affected.
    This is not tru i tested it on two iphones and the bug worked but phone didnt have to factory reset. All it does is disable the Message App. The plan is the get the message deleted to get the messages app working again. There are other ways to delete a message without Opening the message app (Siri for example). Apple published a workaround to get out of the bug while they release a fix. There is actually a working fix already but its a jailbreak tweek. Only Jailbreakers can install it, others have to wait on an iOS update.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    GPRS remember i txt u about this bug like about a month ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by sk@tta View Post
    This is not tru i tested it on two iphones and the bug worked but phone didnt have to factory reset. All it does is disable the Message App. The plan is the get the message deleted to get the messages app working again. There are other ways to delete a message without Opening the message app (Siri for example). Apple published a workaround to get out of the bug while they release a fix. There is actually a working fix already but its a jailbreak tweek. Only Jailbreakers can install it, others have to wait on an iOS update.

GPRS remember i txt u about this bug like about a month ago lol

What did you text to the phones?
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

The exact message below.

effective.
    Power
    لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ 冗

Understanding the bug
    So-called “Unicode of Death,” the actual “bug” stems from the way Unicode decodes characters, causing the above string to decode to an infinitely repeating message.

What happens next is your iPhone’s memory gets overwhelmed in the process, causing the phone to respring. You don’t even have to open the message or receive a notification, it’s an insta-respring.

Having tried it out myself, I can safely report that the bug seems to work as described above. Having texted the offending message to myself, I immediately switched to the System Monitor app, a 99 cent download in the App Store, to check system resources.

Sure enough, I was able to watch RAM on my device go from around 400MB of free memory down to less than a hundred.
    Last edited by sk@tta; Jun 26, 2015 at 03:23 PM.