Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica Linux User Group

Default Jamaica Linux User Group

i have noticed that http://jalug.org/ is not active, where do all the linux users in jamaica meet up?

We were active for around 10 years or so.. We took a break a year or 2 ago. I had to focus on some other stuff.

What type of meeting content are you interested in?

https://www.howtoforge.com/ is a good place to start
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

I am now using linux setting up a vps
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    I am now using linux setting up a vps
    If you are anything PHP checkout HHVM as see how it works out. Also, look into disabling password login and enabling SSH via public keys.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    If you are anything PHP checkout HHVM as see how it works out. Also, look into disabling password login and enabling SSH via public keys.
    Is that better than Nginx?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I would like to open this discussion again. Are there any members of the original JaLUG (from 1998) around? Are there any members of any Linux Users group on this list? Would anyone like join a local (Jamaican) Linux users group?

Quote Originally Posted by dmckoy View Post
    I would like to open this discussion again. Are there any members of the original JaLUG (from 1998) around? Are there any members of any Linux Users group on this list? Would anyone like join a local (Jamaican) Linux users group?
    I am not a hardcore Linux user. I've had some basic experience using Knoppix, Debian, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu. I've had Ubuntu running on my desktop on a secondary partition for some time, but Windows don't play well with other OSes - and GRUB didn't work out for me - so when Ubuntu got corrupted I didn't bother to delve into repair. Intend to go deeper, but not immediately.

Current use of bootable Linux tools is for recovery. Outside of that I've got no experience to speak of.

The gap is being bridged somewhat where gaming is concerned, so that makes it more attractive for persons to go FOSS. And there was some version that looks EXACTLY like Windows for persons having a hard time to switch. Not sure what the new one is called - way back in the day we had Lindows. But yeah. Would join. Would be there to learn.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Good question. I think most of the original guys from JaLUG are still around but have gone different ways professionally and life-wise, you know how it is with life and other commitments. Maybe there's another Linux User Group, but I'm not aware of it.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I was not a member. I have interacted with various groups; was once encouraged to start a group in Ann. Been out of touch with everyone. At times, I feel like the only free software user on the island (most free software lack funtionality and appeal). Scarcely use proprietary solutions (even at work).

I would gladly participate in any group on 1 condition: function under the "4 Freedoms" (https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) principles. A 4F Club, so to speak.
    Last edited by carey; Aug 21, 2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: fsfe does not represent my ideals