Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 234

Thread: Get Windows 10?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,846
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Just thought I'd post a lil chunk of this article here for those not doing a fresh install like me. Then again, this looks like you have to have Win7 or 8 installed to get it :

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum PC
    A Word About Migration

    When you upgrade, Windows 10 will do its best to migrate your applications and settings, though there are some exceptions. Straight from Microsoft:

    For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.
    Some applications that came from your OEM may be removed prior to upgrade.
    For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum PC
    Which Version Will I Get?

    There's been some confusion as to which version of Windows 10 existing Windows 7/8.1 users are eligible for, so let's clear that up:

    Windows 7 Starter > Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Basic > Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Premium > Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Professional > Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Ultimate > Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 with Bing > Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 Pro > Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 8.1 Pro for Students > Windows 10 Pro
    Windows Phone 8.1 > Windows 10 Mobile
    Full article: http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-...eed-to-run-it/
    Current Android - HTC One M9+
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus Z77 -A | Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.4 ghz) | Memory: 2x 4gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600mhz | Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 (1500mhz O.C) | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz HD/3D | Steam ID --> Powpow

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,969
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    What, nothing yet on Win xp and bootleggers, no freeness for them?
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Jun 2, 2015 at 09:37 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,191
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Im running a Bootleg copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and i got the notification. and i also reserved a spot. I was wondering if Microsoft free up di ting to everyone.

    PS: i read somewhere that Windows 10 will only be free for the first year. anyone who wants it after will have to pay

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,941
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I aint waiting no 6 months.. not even a wait a week... lol .. as it buss I'm all on it... (Early adopter)
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

    FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,846
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    What, nothing yet on Win xp and bootleggers, no freeness for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by sk@tta View Post
    Im running a Bootleg copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and i got the notification. and i also reserved a spot. I was wondering if Microsoft free up di ting to everyone.

    PS: i read somewhere that Windows 10 will only be free for the first year. anyone who wants it after will have to pay
    Lol, you guys need to check out the last two Windows 10 threads that state pirated versions of Win 7 and 8 only are eligible for the update, but there might be a catch or they just want as much people as possible to get Windows 10 so they have more Customers for the app services, etc that they are going to offer in it.

    Not even Windows Vista can get the update so how outdated XP could lol?
    Current Android - HTC One M9+
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus Z77 -A | Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.4 ghz) | Memory: 2x 4gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600mhz | Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 (1500mhz O.C) | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz HD/3D | Steam ID --> Powpow

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,191
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Im usually an Early adapter but i havnt tried none of the Windows 10 Developer Previews all now. Since Windows 10 is near its release date im gonna install the developer preview on one a my machines tonight and see if i like it

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    What, nothing yet on Win xp and bootleggers, no freeness for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by sk@tta View Post
    Im running a Bootleg copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and i got the notification. and i also reserved a spot. I was wondering if Microsoft free up di ting to everyone.

    PS: i read somewhere that Windows 10 will only be free for the first year. anyone who wants it after will have to pay
    Nope - it will NOT be free for bootleg versions. It will let you update and give a valid key, but it will not be genuine.

    XP and Vista ppl - you have to go buy it
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Jun 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM.
    CLICK-> Online Gamer Tags ** Job - Senior Dynamics 365 Consultant ** CLICK-> Surface Pro 4 128GB || DESKTOP-> IF THE TRUTH HURTS CLOSE THE THREAD
    If being a nerd means I make more money than you by just walking into a room, while still having a wife and social life... then it SUCKS To Be YOU !

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    735
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Lol, you guys need to check out the last two Windows 10 threads that state pirated versions of Win 7 and 8 only are eligible for the update, but there might be a catch or they just want as much people as possible to get Windows 10 so they have more Customers for the app services, etc that they are going to offer in it.

    Not even Windows Vista can get the update so how outdated XP could lol?
    The basic thinking behind this Microsoft Win10 deployment; is to get as much people on their new operating system inclusive of pirates within the first year. If you have not upgraded by the end of the free year you are going to have to pay to obtain it going forward. Windows 10 win will be app based ala Apple so that's where the revenue will come from not on the OS.

    I have been running the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview eval. copy as a Technet member on 3 machines from November 2014 and it has been very stable and reliable so far and I do like the efficiency of the new OS. Project Spartan (new browser in beta) seems very agile. Navigating the system is more intuitive than Win 8.

    The one issue do I have is with the updates and the time it takes to run the updates which takes place at start-up and could last up to 10-15 minutes which to me is counter productive. There is no current option to postpone installing updates. I have given my feedback to Microsoft about the update issue and hope they make some adjustments with that or hope this is not how it is in the RC.

    Otherwise it's not the previous adjustment/growing pains of Win 8/8.1 as this is more like Win 7 in nature and the transition should be seamless as far as I can see right now. Microsoft has been very inclusive with testers in term of development of this new OS as several surveys I did asked for my opinion on how they should proceed with certain elements of the OS looks and feels.

    You never know with Microsoft but all that could change.

    Hope they get it right..
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,846
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jahman182 View Post
    The basic thinking behind this Microsoft Win10 deployment; is to get as much people on their new operating system inclusive of pirates within the first year. If you have not upgraded by the end of the free year you are going to have to pay to obtain it going forward. Windows 10 win will be app based ala Apple so that's where the revenue will come from not on the OS.

    I have been running the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview eval. copy as a Technet member on 3 machines from November 2014 and it has been very stable and reliable so far and I do like the efficiency of the new OS. Project Spartan (new browser in beta) seems very agile. Navigating the system is more intuitive than Win 8.

    The one issue do I have is with the updates and the time it takes to run the updates which takes place at start-up and could last up to 10-15 minutes which to me is counter productive. There is no current option to postpone installing updates. I have given my feedback to Microsoft about the update issue and hope they make some adjustments with that or hope this is not how it is in the RC.

    Otherwise it's not the previous adjustment/growing pains of Win 8/8.1 as this is more like Win 7 in nature and the transition should be seamless as far as I can see right now. Microsoft has been very inclusive with testers in term of development of this new OS as several surveys I did asked for my opinion on how they should proceed with certain elements of the OS looks and feels.

    You never know with Microsoft but all that could change.

    Hope they get it right..
    Were those updates happening on a Solid State Hard drive? From experience with switching from a Mechanical Hard drive to an SSD, I see about a 50% increase in the speed of Windows updates when shutting down my computer.
    Current Android - HTC One M9+
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus Z77 -A | Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.4 ghz) | Memory: 2x 4gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600mhz | Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 (1500mhz O.C) | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz HD/3D | Steam ID --> Powpow

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jahman182 View Post

    The one issue do I have is with the updates and the time it takes to run the updates which takes place at start-up and could last up to 10-15 minutes which to me is counter productive. There is no current option to postpone installing updates. I have given my feedback to Microsoft about the update issue and hope they make some adjustments with that or hope this is not how it is in the RC.

    Otherwise it's not the previous adjustment/growing pains of Win 8/8.1 as this is more like Win 7 in nature and the transition should be seamless as far as I can see right now. Microsoft has been very inclusive with testers in term of development of this new OS as several surveys I did asked for my opinion on how they should proceed with certain elements of the OS looks and feels.
    So during this testing phrase, you are able to set windows to when you want it to restart so not sure of what you are speaking of. I'm using my SSD and to be honest, it updates and restart and back to login screen between 1min - 3mins

    For upgrades of build, not more than 15mins and a build is push weekly-biweekly after its committed for fast ring users.
    shorter time for others

    I have a normal mechanic drive on my other computer and it updates and restart quick as well, only issue with it is that there is lack on start up to the log in screen with a black screen and cursor.
    However i think that is due to the fact that the mechanic drive is failing.

    What MS has in plan for windows 10 Home users is that they will not be able to cancel from doing a updates however they will be able to select a time they like to restart their computer.
    Windows 10 Pro and Enterprises users and Windows 10 Education will have the ability to defer updates though.

    I should be getting Windows 10 pro since i was using Windows 8.1 Pro

    and so far from my testing from December til now, major improvements and they were listening and making alot of corrections and added new features but now its bug fixing time from this point on since the 10130 build.
    No more added features.

    I'm using 10134 build right now.
    Should be pushed to the fast ring by next week.

    PS: you can also revert back to a previous build as well.
    Check the recovery option for windows 10

    and also you can do a disc clean up to remove all previous version and also the windows.old folder separately too
    Last edited by Dre'; Jun 2, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •