Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Area Code for Jamaica...

Default New Area Code for Jamaica...

The Office of the Utilities Regulation (OUR) says Jamaica will have an additional telephone area code by the end of the year.

Manager for Technical Services at the regulator, Curtis Robinson, says the additional code is needed as the 876 area code is about to exhaust its subscription limit.

New area code might be 877

http://nationwideradiojm.com/jamaica...new-area-code/

so you are saying that we have 9,999,999 active+dormant phone numbers in jamaica? well ok, but I'm still too lazy to for 10 digit dialing. sorry, OUR leave me alone.

this is going to be so interesting with the 10 digit dialing. I foresee lots of credit being sent to the wrong number, lots of wrong calls etc. until everyone gets used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    so you are saying that we have 9,999,999 active+dormant phone numbers in jamaica? well ok, but I'm still too lazy to for 10 digit dialing. sorry, OUR leave me alone.
    Let's say that the country have exhausted all the available slots for 876....Was it necessary for us to go to 10 digits?

10 digits is the International dialing code for the North American Numbering Plan. For arguments sake if all combinations of numbers under 876 are completed how would dial another area code without ah... DIALING THE NEW AREA CODE lol.

There is going to reach a point when you have duplicate numbers under both area codes so the area code will be the only thing that differentiates them. Now answering your question yes you would have to dial using 10 digits which would include the area code.

On a personal note, I don't think we have exhausted all 876 combinations. There just needs to be more reconciliation of active, assigned and dormant phone numbers. The OUR should have a record of all assigned phone numbers and the carriers would have the active and dormant numbers. Combine both records and run some analysis then you will a true picture. Perhaps this was already done as I doubt I am smarter than the OUR.

All my numbers are stored in their 10 digit format so this is unlikely to affect me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    10 digits is the International dialing code for the North American Numbering Plan. For arguments sake if all combinations of numbers under 876 are completed how would dial another area code without ah... DIALING THE NEW AREA CODE lol.

There is going to reach a point when you have duplicate numbers under both area codes so the area code will be the only thing that differentiates them. Now answering your question yes you would have to dial using 10 digits which would include the area code.

On a personal note, I don't think we have exhausted all 876 combinations. There just needs to be more reconciliation of active, assigned and dormant phone numbers. The OUR should have a record of all assigned phone numbers and the carriers would have the active and dormant numbers. Combine both records and run some analysis then you will a true picture. Perhaps this was already done as I doubt I am smarter than the OUR.

All my numbers are stored in their 10 digit format so this is unlikely to affect me anyway.
    Indeed, i'm almost sure that there are over 2 million dormant numbers. What about the Claro/Miphone dormant numbers? were they reassigned? what about dormant numbers form both networks?

My question is this - how on God's green earth have we used up all the various combinations under the 876 code for such a small country with not that many ppl.

Not being a math genius or anything but... Each area code allows for a maximum of 10 MILLION numbers (10^7). Considering the main exception of a number cannot start with a zero (0) or one (1) e.g. 0XX-XXXX or 1XX-XXX. We are left with 8 MILLION possible numbers (8*10^6).

We have a ton of dormant numbers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizen View Post
    Let's say that the country have exhausted all the available slots for 876....Was it necessary for us to go to 10 digits?
    Yes - no way around that.
    Last edited by King_Jay16; May 16, 2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    My question is this - how on God's green earth have we used up all the various combinations under the 876 code for such a small country with not that many ppl.

Not being a math genius or anything but... Each area code allows for a maximum of 10 MILLION numbers (10^7). Considering the main exception of a number cannot start with a zero (0) or one (1) e.g. 0XX-XXXX or 1XX-XXX. We are left with 8 MILLION possible numbers (8*10^6).

We have a ton of dormant numbers out there.
    We have like 2 million+ mobile subscribers out there, yeah? Each probably have at least 2 numbers, that's 4 million numbers already used up.

We have businesses that each have like 2 - 4 land line numbers. Not to mention fax line numbers.
    We have residential homes that have at least 1 number each (I have 2, a LIME and a Flow #).
    We have government reserved #'s, even if they aren't being used.
    And the list goes on.

Your 8 million numbers are eaten up very quickly, so not sure why you can't see it happening.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    We have like 2 million+ mobile subscribers out there, yeah? Each probably have at least 2 numbers, that's 4 million numbers already used up.

We have businesses that each have like 2 - 4 land line numbers. Not to mention fax line numbers.
    We have residential homes that have at least 1 number each (I have 2, a LIME and a Flow #).
    We have government reserved #'s, even if they aren't being used.
    And the list goes on.

Your 8 million numbers are eaten up very quickly, so not sure why you can't see it happening.
    Not saying it can't happen, and I can clearly see how it can happen. I would like to see how many dormant numbers they still have in the 876 area code. These could probably be recouped and reused before a new area code has to be put online. I wouldn't be surprised if my old house numbers are still dormant.

At the rate things are going they may as well add a 3rd area code to the list in preparation.

Don't forget that large organizations with VoIP PBXs have the ability to offer DID/DOD for each extension. So for example 600 extensions = 600 numbers just in one organization.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com