Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Will Be Microsoft's 'Last Great OS'

Thumbs up Windows 10 Will Be Microsoft's 'Last Great OS'

It's about time M$ did this. Was becoming pointless to release a new OS every few years with minor upgrades anyways. Now we're starting to see their plan to get pirates 'legit' unfolding:

Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-wi...eat-os-1915000

Quote Originally Posted by ibtimes
    There won't be a Windows 11, but that doesn't mean Microsoft will be ending Windows or ditching the software. Instead, it will update the operating system consistently and add new improvements and features at all times. This is similar to how Google operates the Chrome OS software that powers its Chromebook computers. Rather than coming out with a major new version for Chrome OS every year or so, Google simply has programmers improving it at all times.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

The Botnet windows 10 OS is just a change in update and naming convention.
    The next thing that i'm interested to know if, what if someone need to bring back a computer to factory default, is it gonna suck up all my bandwidth of updates to bring it to the latest version.
    ChromeOS does a better job and have a simple image that install the latest version auto before usage and the image is little or nothing less than 300MB and it doesn't goes thru cycles of updates but just the latest or the one that google allows to be downloaded.

If anyone have ever tested windows 10, you will see that it speaks to other windows 10 computer constantly (not MS servers) but other windows 10 machine all the time, P2P at its best.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

I love how you guys spend all your time reading marketing material and adverisements.

From the minute they were talking about giving out windows 10 for free even to pirates for the first year I knew this was what they were going to do.
    With how they've been acting since windows 8, where it's like they try their best to shut anyone with a sliver of technological know how out of their system files and settings (Or just make it as annoying as possible.) I'll keep a copy of 7 handy and learn linux just in case.
    Wondering how this will affect businesses and third party software in terms of compatibility, because if you work for a mid size to large company, (especially in Jamaica) you learn one thing, they HATE updating anything and will sit on outdated 13 year old crap while you try and force them out of the stoneage and security vulnerability.

Really though I'm just sitting here waiting for all the money milking methods this new system will bring to be announced.
    Giving pirates Windows 10 for free. Ta loco, I got my eye on you Microsoft.

Yeah windows has also embraced to P2P sharing methods.
    "As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song
    “Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

why pay for something that is substandard/annoying?
    free (trial) was definitely the way to go
    I like the naming convention. and 10 seems like a round number to stop at.
    Microsoft will still find a way to suck more money from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel of Lightning View Post
    I'll keep a copy of 7 handy and learn linux just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by presto View Post
    why pay for something that is substandard/annoying?
    free (trial) was definitely the way to go
    I like the naming convention. and 10 seems like a round number to stop at.
    Microsoft will still find a way to suck more money from us.
    This is just Microsoft being M$. They are just copying what every game developer, google and I think Mac has been doing for years, which is giving you the platform for free(some game developers give free updates not all) and you just pay for services, apps, etc as the article stated.

This is nothing new really. Just that they are late on the band wagon and since more people around the world have access to the internet these days, everyone is moving to cloud.
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I love how you guys spend all your time reading marketing material and adverisements.
    LOL!!! That is just hilarious.

I am curious to see how this whole Windows 10 strategy plays out. I still don't like Windows 8.
    Last edited by jamrock; May 12, 2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    LOL!!! That is just hilarious.

I am curious to see how this whole Windows 10 strategy plays out. I still don't like Windows 8.
    Direct X 12 and the free update is what is going to draw me to take the update if all goes well.

I for one am not going to take the day one update. Might wait a few months and watch all the reviews and findings before doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Direct X 12 and the free update is what is going to draw me to take the update if all goes well.

I for one am not going to take the day one update. Might wait a few months and watch all the reviews and findings before doing so.
    Be reminded its a free upgrade only for the first year, if you have a valid qualifying license We still do not know what the price would be after the one year. The free upgrade will apply to all SKUs except Enterprise

Also there are many SKUs

Windows 10 Home is designed for the consumer and includes features like Cortana, Edge browser, Continuum, Windows Hello and all of the built-in apps too.

Windows 10 Pro builds on the Home features and is targeted for the needs of small businesses. This SKU will include features to help businesses manage their devices, apps and protect sensitive data. Included at this level is also Microsoft's new 'Windows Update for Business' which gives IT admins detailed control over when and how updates are delivered to users.

Windows 10 Enterprise, as the name implies, is targeted at medium and large corporations who need the most robust security and control functionality; this SKU is available to Volume Licensing customers. The most important feature in this SKU is that it will have access to the long term servicing branch as an option for deploying to mission-critical machines.

Windows 10 Education is targeted at schools and universities and is available through academic Volume Licensing. In addition, there are routes for those students and schools using Windows 10 Home and Pro to upgrade to Windows 10 Education.

Windows 10 Mobile is for small mobile devices like tablets and smartphones. It includes support for Universal apps and it will ship with touch versions of Office as well. Microsoft says this SKU will include Continuum as well, but that it is dependent on the hardware of the device if it can be enabled.

Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise is targeted at businesses who need to manage a mobile fleet of smartphones and tablets. This SKU is available through Volume Licensing and adds new security management options and allows you to control the update/patching process as well.

Finally, there is Windows 10 IoT Core which is designed for small, low cost devices; focused primarily on Internet of Things development.

source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...s-sku-strategy
    Last edited by Dre'; May 14, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Yeah, I know the upgrade is only available for a year and no you don't need a valid license as discussed in this thread:

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...Pirated-Copies

Pretty much anyone can get it free for that year and who's to say it won't keep that way thereafter. I'm not gonna wait until the year before upgrading though as I have a feeling it will be a solid one like 7 eventually.