Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VOIP Being blocked

So, quick question about the apparent mobile-data blocks. Are they blocking these VoIP services only when the calls terminate on land lines and mobile voice networks or are they also blocking pure app-to-app connections (e.g. Hangouts to Hangouts, WhatsApp Voice to WhatsApp Voice)?

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    are they also blocking pure app-to-app connections (e.g. Hangouts to Hangouts, WhatsApp Voice to WhatsApp Voice)?
    Yes. This is correct for WhatsApp to WhatsApp
    Edit: ALL WhatApp calls are blocked irregardless of what they terminate to

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    I take it you are another reseller.
    No, I'm just another customer (who understands the economics behind the decision).

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    This shows that data is being sold cheap, its the basic call and text Mainly the contract of a phone as well that brings up the price.
    Therefore our mobile carriers can do far better with the rates for mobile and the blockage can be easily resolve with alternative means
    This, in my opinion sums it up nicely. Due to the monopoly, I don't foresee this being resolved any time soon.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Apr 24, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    Yes. This is correct for WhatsApp to WhatsApp
    Edit: ALL WhatApp calls are blocked irregardless of what they terminate to
    Although I personally don't buy it, for the sake of argument lets say Digicel and Lime are right and it is a form of illegal bypass, when you use VoIP apps to call land lines or mobile voice networks. The argument doesn't really hold up when the discussion switches to app-to-app communication because you can do things with them that you just can't do on a regular call.

For starters, the modern audio CODECS used in these apps have increased frequency response that yield much better audio (as long as there is a relatively stable data connection.) Unless Lime and Digicel plan on moving to something like VoLTE soon, they can't compete here. The only way to get better audio quality is to use one of these services. We also get the ability to send text, emoji, pics and video, all over the same data stream. SMS and MMS would make for a poor substitute.

They sell us these portable communicating devices but then turn around and tell us we aren't allowed to use them as intended, DESPITE paying good money for the use of their data networks?

it is a form of illegal bypass
    That's what I believe it is as well

Unless Lime and Digicel plan on moving to something like VoLTE soon, they can't compete here
    At the point of deploying VoLTE, our carriers will then increase the rates of their data plans such that they still do not operate at a loss if no one makes a GSM phone call in favor of VOIP (though their data plan). I know Digicel made it clear that they expect us to make "Fair Use" of VOIP on their network.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Apr 24, 2015 at 05:42 PM.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    This is odd, could someone confirm that LIME is now blocking tethering and when since? I've used it in the past and intend to use it again in the filed to connect my laptop and tablet.
    @ Dre LIME send me 50MB free data a few days ago so I tried tethering and yes it still works, able to access internet on my tablet and laptop via my HTC phone.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    @ Dre LIME send me 50MB free data a few days ago so I tried tethering and yes it still works, able to access internet on my tablet and laptop via my HTC phone.
    Can you share your apn settings?
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Can you share your apn settings?
    I assume its a prepaid phone
    Name: LIME INTERNET
    Access Point (APN): ppinternet
    Username: None
    Password: None
    Port Number: 9201
    Server: not set

If you're having issues you can call and ask them to send the setting to your phone.

Check out https://twitter.com/digicelsucks. Digicel has actually replied to some of their tweet to include saying they have not blocked Voip for whatsapp, but it's the application being at fault.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tizen; May 7, 2015 at 03:11 PM.

This group really hates Digicel, they find every news that is negative....https://twitter.com/guardian/status/595457095354429440
    Last edited by Tizen; May 7, 2015 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    I think they only block (particular) ports or do load balancing via packet sniffing.
    At the end of the day, there is still the Fair Use agreement. Would you support the idea of someone hogging up all the bandwidth with P2P or torrents? Hence the need for throttling or capping our data plans. Data plans are relatively "cheaper" here in Jamaica than several other carriers overseas if you looked at the bundles we get.

Don't look at it as targeting a specific app. At the end of the day, it's a business strategy. If your read the contract you (should have) signed when you got your SIM card, you would see where they are fighting out VOIP from day one.
    Matthew you have a valid point there, however the blocking of VoIP will soon be under serious scrutiny as the talks about Net Neutrality and the possible legal ramifications seems to be spurring wider and wider engulfing a number of streaming and ICT technologies.

If the user has paid for the service what right does a service provider has to determine on what and how should the user enjoy the service?

I am in the process of writing an article to both the Gleaner and Observer about Net Neutrality and how local ISPs and telecomm providers attempt to 'provost' the use of our paid services.