Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VOIP Being blocked

Default VOIP Being blocked

I have an android phone, I have Hangouts and i'm not able to make and receive calls or even text when i'm using my mobile data on LIME.
    I'm also not able to make voice calls on Whatsapp either when using Digicel data service.

Am i the only person with these issues?

Is the some general reason as to why these apps are being blocked?
    If so why hasn't of the mobile network providers mention anything about or at least accepting the blame

If within the wrong section, MODS please correct.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Is the some general reason as to why these apps are being blocked?
    The carriers LOSE potential revenue when you stop purchasing credit to make calls.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    The carriers LOSE potential revenue when you stop purchasing credit to make calls.
    They still dont have the right to block the apps. Open internet standards state all data should be treated the same.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    They still dont have the right to block the apps.
    I think they only block (particular) ports or do load balancing via packet sniffing.
    At the end of the day, there is still the Fair Use agreement. Would you support the idea of someone hogging up all the bandwidth with P2P or torrents? Hence the need for throttling or capping our data plans. Data plans are relatively "cheaper" here in Jamaica than several other carriers overseas if you looked at the bundles we get.

Don't look at it as targeting a specific app. At the end of the day, it's a business strategy. If your read the contract you (should have) signed when you got your SIM card, you would see where they are fighting out VOIP from day one.
    Last edited by NOKIA 3650; Apr 21, 2015 at 04:05 PM.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F

I think they only block (particular) ports or do load balancing via packet sniffing.
    At the end of the day, there is still the Fair Use agreement. Would you support the idea of someone hogging up all the bandwidth with P2P or torrents? Hence the need for throttling or capping our data plans. Data plans are relatively "cheaper" here in Jamaica than several other carriers overseas if you looked at the bundles we get.

Don't look at it as targeting a specific app. At the end of the day, it's a business strategy. If your read the contract you (should have) signed when you got your SIM card, you would see where they are fighting out VOIP from day one.
    Did these people go over their data limit? How are they hogging bandwidth? Arent their bandwidth limited? Who has unlimited bandwidth? How did torrents get into this?
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

^^^Point taken. Maximizing carrier revenue is what it's all about at the expense of barring VOIP.
    HTML Code:

^^^Point taken. Maximizing carrier revenue is what it's all about at the expense of barring VOIP.
    Well thankfully they cant do that crap where I live.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

whatsapp blockd on digi?.. yes
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

i never really tried whatsapp calling over mobile data but wifi calling is still working...can someone with a data plan try this to confirm

@NOKIA 3650
    at the end of the day we still have to purchase or we get billed for data that is being used so it shouldn't be a problem
    And forcing customers to buy international mins to call overseas is just stupid in times of new technology.
    I prefer to call straight to use my credit to make both overseas and local anytime instead of spending money to put on a limited plan.

I saw this news the other day and cause me to wonder.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/skype-wha...ean-commission

At least there are reforming the regulations as its really unfair to just start blocking ports to disallow app usage is not the way to go. Its not right.

@mykel
    Two other persons complained about the issue today so i know i'm not alone.
    I don't really care much for whatsapp call, as far as i see it that a pickney thing.
    whatsapp calling is a joke and the quality is awful.
    Hangout is the big guns.

So far Google moving towards the future with their new MVNO
    Last edited by Dre'; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.