Thread: Wire Wrapping Wire

Default Wire Wrapping Wire

So. I did electronics back in 97. Failed. Did it over. Passed. Never really touched it much since.

I've done a bit of repairs for myself from the charging port on my Z10 to the surface mount resistors on my wife's laptop and other stuff that should be posted here. Problem? Availability of parts to do the smaller jobs like charging ports and surface mount stuff. Did some digging around and came upon this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3N7KACY9GLFPH

Wire wrapping wire seems to be the way to go and I've purchased a roll and I'm sharing it with the community. Previously what I've done is strip a type 80 IDE cable and use each strand but it's still a bit thick for some applications. While electronics has evolved over the years I'm really not sure if this type of wire is available locally. If it is then I'll check the cost, but I've already shipped the one I've linked to. Once it gets here I'll post some pics on how small it actually is when used with things like charging ports for the micro USB. If anyone has this or something similar already then let us know and where you got it to buy.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

You might want to explain what wire wrapping is. Even though i use to do it, I didnt know there was a name for it until now.

I did electronics in high school, practical and theoretical.

I would always get mid 70s to low 80s on the practical because my circuit board wast neat. In theoretical (math etc..) I would get high 80s to low 90s.

I should really start doing stuff like this again.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    So. I did electronics back in 97. Failed. Did it over. Passed. Never really touched it much since.

I've done a bit of repairs for myself from the charging port on my Z10 to the surface mount resistors on my wife's laptop and other stuff that should be posted here. Problem? Availability of parts to do the smaller jobs like charging ports and surface mount stuff. Did some digging around and came upon this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3N7KACY9GLFPH

Wire wrapping wire seems to be the way to go and I've purchased a roll and I'm sharing it with the community. Previously what I've done is strip a type 80 IDE cable and use each strand but it's still a bit thick for some applications. While electronics has evolved over the years I'm really not sure if this type of wire is available locally. If it is then I'll check the cost, but I've already shipped the one I've linked to. Once it gets here I'll post some pics on how small it actually is when used with things like charging ports for the micro USB. If anyone has this or something similar already then let us know and where you got it to buy.
    Hey... I wish I had some of that when I was fixing a Blup phone charging port... I am no electrician myself.. but I ended up having to use coil wire from a small transformer in an old VCR... wire was too stiff but I didn't have anything else.

Try the type 80 IDE cable next time. Much more flexible. Still waiting on my wire to test.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Got the wire but didn't get a chance to actually use it until today. Did over the work inside my Z10 - Love it so far. It's more flexible than the type 80 cable - it's just as thin as a single strand of the type 80 cable - it's made of tin-plated copper so it's really conductive - was having some issues with the USB recognition over time with the type 80 cable used to fix the Z10 - really good working with it so far afterwards. Gonna watch it for like a month of charging and such and see if it makes much of a difference. No problems so far though. I will also say - based on the material it takes to the solder QUICK! I got it to hold on to each leg of the 5 pin USB almost instantly! Highly recommended for circuit work! I'll continue to guinea pig it and let you know how it holds up after about a month.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls?ie=UTF8&me=