Thread: iPhone 4 Speaker/Jack Issue

Yung_Jah Guest

Default iPhone 4 Speaker/Jack Issue

I have an iPhone 4 which seems to behave strange. I'd hear the phone ring, but it won't play music through the speaker.

Did my research which recommend cleaning the charging port and jack. That did not help.

With regards the jack, I believe the issue with the speaker caused the music to ship out while using a headset. I'd have to unplug and then plug to continue listening. Cycle would repeat until the music ends.

By the way, this is how I got the phone [second hand] since 2012. Think I heard it fell in water.

The last time I pulled it, I didn't see any sign of corrosion. Thought about changing the speaker, but rather not jump to spending any $$$ until I get any good advice.

Check this teardown guide. Go to step 17.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+4+Teardown/3130

The image I'm going to use is borrowed and edited from the link above.

That chip. Reflow it. Once you're done it should be good. If you're afraid to reflow it then tear it down - stick the board in rice overnight - put it back together. That should get out all the moisture.

If your issue is with the MIC then reflow that chip. If it's not the mic then just do a general reflow with your heat gun and some liquid flux.

*EDIT*
    I am sure I edited that picture but for some reason it's not showing. The chip I'm talking about is the second large one from the left. Two large ICs are kind of corralled or enclosed in the metal frame on the left - it's the second chip from the left.

While it may not be related to the MIC - I have had success doing reflow on that chip for those who have issues with the microphone even after replacing the actual mic. Some persons stuff paper back in there to make the chip press down to the board so it makes contact. You can check it out on YouTube or such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAda5Xj3-s
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 9, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".