Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Routers/Wireless

Default Lets Talk Routers/Wireless

How important is a router to you?

Do you care about the technology in your router or You just want to know you have internet connectivity?

Or is it that you want a better router, but the technology is not readily available?

What router are you currently using?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I have a simple Dlink dir 600 with DD-WRT installed. It works for my PC, laptop and mobile devices.
    I'll consider upgrading to an AC router when I have better internet.

For me the most important requirement of a router (or any device) is that there must be a modified open-source firmware available. I mean, what kind of 'techie' are you if you are running a stock ROM on something as simple as a router?

When its time to pick a new router I'll check Amazon reviews, then cross-check it with the compatibility list for Tomato or DD-WRT
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    I have a simple Dlink dir 600 with DD-WRT installed. It works for my PC, laptop and mobile devices.

For me the most important requirement of a router (or any device) is that there must be a modified open-source firmware available. I mean, what kind of 'techie' are you if you are running a stock ROM on something as simple as a router?

When its time to pick a new router I'll check Amazon reviews, then cross-check it with the compatibility list for Tomato or DD-WRT
    My routers all run stock firmware - 2x Asus RT-AC68Us, currently I have no need for custom firmwares. I used to do DD-WRT on my previous routers, however since I upgraded to the Asus's haven't felt the need to do so.

As to answer Pezz:

Routers are must for me due to the devices I have in my network.

I am loving my AC capable routers.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post

What does the open-firmware does?

So you only use your router for internet? No attached storage or anything?

For Router reviews use CNET. Their reviews are in depth

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    My routers all run stock firmware - 2x Asus RT-AC68Us, currently I have no need for custom firmwares. I used to do DD-WRT on my previous routers, however since I upgraded to the Asus's haven't felt the need to do so.

As to answer Pezz:

Routers are must for me due to the devices I have in my network.

I am loving my AC capable routers.
    Why do you have 2 AC68U? You running VPN?

I am running just one ASUS RT-AC66R. Love it.

Also have a WD N600 as spare.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post

Why do you have 2 AC68U? You running VPN?

I am running just one ASUS RT-AC66R. Love it.

Also have a WD N600 as spare.

No my Synology acts as my VPN server. One of the Asus RT-AC68 is from T-Mobile (TM-AC1900) with custom firmware from T-mobile to prioritize WiFi Calls. The other is the one I bought for myself ~1 year or so ago.

I have mine in a box since I am using the T-Mobile one, however, I plan on using them to create a Media Bridge instead of running wires to devices far from my switch.

Last edited by King_Jay16; Apr 1, 2015 at 08:58 PM.

How important is a router to you?

Do you care about the technology in your router or You just want to know you have internet connectivity?

Or is it that you want a better router, but the technology is not readily available?

What router are you currently using?
    A router is very important to me, otherwise connectivity for the many devices in my household would be problematic. Trust me, we use them hard.

Linksys EA4200v2 and Linksys WRT1900AC, both stock FW.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

A router that supports Open-wrt, DD-WRT or Tomato is a must if you are in Jamaica. VPN services that provide US IP addresses generally require OpenVPN support and that usually isn't available via the stock FW. Other protocols exist may also work but are usually slower or less secure.

Rocking a "Dark Knight" myself.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    A router that supports Open-wrt, DD-WRT or Tomato is a must if you are in Jamaica. VPN services that provide US IP addresses generally require OpenVPN support and that usually isn't available via the stock FW. Other protocols exist may also work but are usually slower or less secure.

^ What he sad. The need to get VPN was the only reason why I venture into messing with my router firmware years ago, didn't realise the power controls DD-WRT offered until then, from boosting wifi signal strength, monitor bandwidth usage (monthly weekly etc) and much more.
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Apr 2, 2015 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    No my Synology acts as my VPN server. One of the Asus RT-AC68 is from T-Mobile (TM-AC1900) with custom firmware from T-mobile to prioritize WiFi Calls. The other is the one I bought for myself ~1 year or so ago.

I have mine in a box since I am using the T-Mobile one, however, I plan on using them to create a Media Bridge instead of running wires to devices far from my switch.
    What con would wiring introduce?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A router is very important to me, otherwise connectivity for the many devices in my household would be problematic. Trust me, we use them hard.

Linksys EA4200v2 and Linksys WRT1900AC, both stock FW.
    How are the routers? I havent had good experience with linksys. I heard great things about the WRT1900AC though.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66R. Love the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    ^ What he sad. The need to get VPN was the only reason why I venture into messing with my router firmware years ago, didn't realise the power controls DD-WRT offered until then, from boosting wifi signal strength, monitor bandwidth usage (monthly weekly etc) and much more.
    Now you guys make me wanna try this lol. But I am happy with my router so far.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

How are the routers? I havent had good experience with linksys. I heard great things about the WRT1900AC though.
    The EA4200v2 is fairly solid given the non-AC and older technology in it. The USB storage device connectivity is very wonky and have lost files due to it. Linksys' response is that it only supports the drives on their list.

The WRT1900AC however is a mixed bag. It's now working fairly strong after a lot of teething pains with previous firmware versions. Generally speaking it's been fairly disappointing in it's promise to support OpenWRT and only just starting to "support" it in recent months after being on the market for over 1 year? It's support for attached USB and eSATA devices works great.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com