Thread: Web Design Should Be Easy with Laravel

Lightbulb Web Design Should Be Easy with Laravel

I'm pretty much all things Ruby on Rails but a friend of mine or should I say my new job wants me to learn php or should I say again, to further my knowledge in PHP. Ok I'll take on more stress. I came upon Laravel. Many of you may have experience with CI or YII but some may find their syntax hard to understand. I do.

The Laravel's framwork and syntax is easily understandable. Once install and you have user model: user registration in seconds. You and easily add or subtract from it's functionality. I would definitely have a go with it and you will what doors it can open for you. I get crazy when I found this amazing guy at Laracasts. For USD9 a month you'll sure to be a pro in no time.

I am no way affiliated with the links I have provided.
    Last edited by Daveyon; Mar 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
    Just an average web developer.

Maybe because I am a programmer, but I am not into this "One click web dev". I believe these things should require expertise.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    ... but I am not into this "One click web dev". I believe these things should require expertise.
    Yes you are correct. Knowing the steps to add 5 + 5 which gives us 10 rather than using a calculator to gives us the answer. But in today's world, things move fast and businesses would like their application in the shortest time possible. So would you rather re-invent the wheel? No. But it all depends on the app requirements. This approach is for someone who wants an app running without the length of time writing codes, not to mention tests. I hope we all do our TDDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyon View Post
    Yes you are correct. Knowing the steps to add 5 + 5 which gives us 10 rather than using a calculator to gives us the answer. But in today's world, things move fast and businesses would like their application in the shortest time possible. So would you rather re-invent the wheel? No. But it all depends on the app requirements. This approach is for someone who wants an app running without the length of time writing codes, not to mention tests. I hope we all do our TDDs.
    The fun is... Business dont use these one click development. They spend millions on web dev.

The single entrepreneur goes the easy way.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    The single entrepreneur goes the easy way.
    Where I am they do. It's all about open source and functionality and meeting deadlines. But I do agree that guys like me would go the easy way.

I would not recommend anyone to learn Laravel as thier first intro to php, its creates OOP junkies that only know how to extend classes. The ultimate objective is to write small, bug free code as quickly as possible. Not to find the biggest framework bus to jump on and extend until you are bored. I wrote an article about it recently; http://owensoft.net/v4/item/2145/

I'm not digging on your knowledge and skillset. I'm just saying that its a toss up between easy web design and learning how to code.
    Last edited by owen; Mar 24, 2015 at 09:07 PM.

I would prefer OOP Junkies over someone just shooting themselves and future maintainers in the foot with wild west coding.

Signed: Not an OOP Junkie.

I'm going to rewrite an app using Laravel and pure object oriented programming (poop)
    http://coderoom.dajengroup.com/2015/...istant-before/
    Last edited by recursion; Apr 5, 2015 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Added Link
    28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

Looks interesting. I like Yii and CakePHP. Haven't dabbled in it yet though. RAD is the trend nowadays. To each his own.
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

girldemsuga Guest

I have seen this framework before but never took the time to really look into it. My preference for frameworks are ones which the routing is a reflection if the controller class which is why I love CakePHP for PHP and web2Py for Python. Looking at the tutorial though, it looks quite easy for one to pick up and code with so may be something I consider for a future project.

It's not educational to start off with learning a framework before knowing your first language. To be honest, my first was ruby. It's just human readable to me then I jumped back on php.

The reason I'd use Laravel over anyone other php framework would be, IMO, less code to write and maintain. I do understand what's happening in the background but if you can get a production app with few lines of code then why not. Has member of this forum using or testing out Laravel?
    Quote Originally Posted by recursion View Post
    I'm going to rewrite an app using Laravel and pure object oriented programming (poop)
    Let us see a link when ready
    Last edited by Daveyon; Nov 7, 2015 at 06:20 AM.