Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow AVS Up & Running

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Flow uses similar... but I can't say that using one service affects the others.. if I'm downloading allot of stuff via the internet I don't see a difference in Cable or phone quality.. I would only see it on the Internet portion of the system..

The major issue is that once there is an issue all systems go down.... so from time to time Internet, Cable and phone will go down...

I will say that what Flow is offering is miles ahead of what any other Cable/Internet provider is offering in Jamaica.. and these changes are independent of the Cable & Wireless buyout.

Flow is now basically on par with any top US cable/Internet provider...
    Call services dont normally get affected.

If you have 3-4 tvs on at once (THink they need 6Mbps each), then you start to get a little slow down.

So is flow using fiber or cable?

Flow has been onpar with and better than USA providers for years now.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    A provider here where I live uses One internet line for TV, phone and cable. Is this similar?

Does this mean it is eating away at your bandwidth?
    They actually have a FAQ that covers this - flowavs.com

Q8. I am currently experiencing intermittent problems with my Internet connection. Will this affect my ability to get Advanced Video Services?

Ans: No, Data and Advanced Video Service remain separate products and as such one is not directly dependent on the other.

Since its IP based they probably have QoS configured for the bandwidth related to the TV and Internet. Switching over to this new system will save lots of wasted bandwidth previously used for Cable services. On typical cable all channels travel over the wire to everyone all at the time with each reserving a certain Mhz. Now they can use Unicast and Multicast which is more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    They actually have a FAQ that covers this - flowavs.com

Q8. I am currently experiencing intermittent problems with my Internet connection. Will this affect my ability to get Advanced Video Services?

Ans: No, Data and Advanced Video Service remain separate products and as such one is not directly dependent on the other.

Since its IP based they probably have QoS configured for the bandwidth related to the TV and Internet. Switching over to this new system will save lots of wasted bandwidth previously used for Cable services. On typical cable all channels travel over the wire to everyone all at the time with each reserving a certain Mhz. Now they can use Unicast and Multicast which is more efficient.
    Oh I see... Seems slightly different from the one I know.

Are they still using cable or fiber?
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

They use cable to your house... In some areas they have fibre, but they use cable to your house...

I think you can get direct fibre for business.

Having on all TV'S causes now slow down based on my observations. With this new system the VOD service is much much faster.. on the old system some load times were crazy...
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; Mar 22, 2015 at 08:01 PM.

They use cable to your house... In some areas they have fibre, but they use cable to your house...

I think you can direct direct fibre for business.

Having on all TV'S causes now slow down based on my observations. With this new system the VOD service is much much faster.. on the old system some load times were crazy...

Oh zeen. Cable dont get affected. Cause everything travels on a different frequency on the wire.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Call services dont normally get affected.

If you have 3-4 tvs on at once (THink they need 6Mbps each), then you start to get a little slow down.

So is flow using fiber or cable?

Flow has been onpar with and better than USA providers for years now.
    Flow is using HFC (hybrid-fibre-coax) like all US providers, however they are clearly switching their systems over to more IP based ones. It would be similar to Comcast's new X1 service.

Now I just hope more and more networks will jump on the HD Train... Flow need to pressure TVJ and CVM lol

Seems by the next 5 years most Channels will be HD...

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Flow is using HFC (hybrid-fibre-coax) like all US providers, however they are clearly switching their systems over to more IP based ones. It would be similar to Comcast's new X1 service.
    oh hybrid. Based on GPRS experience it seems the should focus on high bitrate 720p instead of low biterate 1080i though
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

high bitrate 720p instead of low biterate 1080i
    Will High bitrate 720p look as good as low 1080i ??
    Then you have a situation where allot of 1080 TV's will upscale the 720p which will decrease the quality (sharpness) slightly..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Will High bitrate 720p look as good as low 1080i ??
    Then you have a situation where allot of 1080 TV's will upscale the 720p which will decrease the quality (sharpness) slightly..
    Definitely will look better. High quality 720 > lower quality 1080i

Some 720p videos I download I am amazed at how beautiful they are.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup