Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow AVS Up & Running

After resisting a long time I now realize I don’t have much choice and thus finally got hooked up with Flow Triple Play Service, the recent speed upgrade was the final straw, make no sense paying more for 8mb ADSL internet service while others enjoying 20mb on Flow for less money, bye bye LIME Browse & Talk.

The AVS service is ok, the remote layout and software on the cable box however need some work, not as intuitive as the old system and lacking in features, the work around for a lack of a "favorites" button is cumbersome, also there are several missing features that I have become accustom to on the older system, like been able to set timer for the cable box to automatically switch to a preset channel everyday or weekly at a specified time.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Really not sure about that.. I don't see why it wouldn't work...
    My bad, after getting the cable installed I realize the cable box used HDMI cable to connect to the TV and not coaxial as originally taught. The A-B switch I made reference to is for coaxial cable not HDMI and thus is of no more use as I now just connect the antenna directly to the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    The major issue is that once there is an issue all systems go down.... so from time to time Internet, Cable and phone will go down...

I will say that what Flow is offering is miles ahead of what any other Cable/Internet provider is offering in Jamaica.. and these changes are independent of the Cable & Wireless buyout.

Flow is now basically on par with any top US cable/Internet provider...
    Oh yes, This is a major issue for me as well. experienced that the very first day, power went and everything went dead (telephone, cable, internet) I was expecting at minimum the telephone would remain up, this event renders the battery in the modem to be of no use as Flow's outdoor infrastructure have no backup power supply in the first place to keep the services up in the event of a power outage.

Is there a way to switch off Flow's giant modem without removing the battery? I like switching off my equipment at nights while I sleep. Im also curious as to how much power this over size unit uses?
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Feb 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    After resisting a long time I now realize I don’t have much choice and thus finally got hooked up with Flow Triple Play Service, the recent speed upgrade was the final straw, make no sense paying more for 8mb ADSL internet service while others enjoying 20mb on Flow for less money, bye bye LIME Browse & Talk.

The AVS service is ok, the remote layout and software on the cable box however need some work, not as intuitive as the old system and lacking in features, the work around for a lack of a "favorites" button is cumbersome, also there are several missing features that I have become accustom to on the older system, like been able to set timer for the cable box to automatically switch to a preset channel everyday or weekly at a specified time.

My bad, after getting the cable installed I realize the cable box used HDMI cable to connect to the TV and not coaxial as originally taught. The A-B switch I made reference to is for coaxial cable not HDMI and thus is of no more use as I now just connect the antenna directly to the TV.

Oh yes, This is a major issue for me as well. experienced that the very first day, power went and everything went dead (telephone, cable, internet) I was expecting at minimum the telephone would remain up, this event renders the battery in the modem to be of no use as Flow's outdoor infrastructure have no backup power supply in the first place to keep the services up in the event of a power outage.

Is there a way to switch off Flow's giant modem without removing the battery? I like switching off my equipment at nights while I sleep. Im also curious as to how much power this over size unit uses?
    Being...
    Thought...

isn't the power stated on the power supply or the unit? Or you can calculate the power based on stated voltage and Amps.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

You know you didn't have to the use the coaxial output for the original box and could have gotten rid of the A-B switch? All you needed was to use the RCA cables and connect your antenna to the coaxial. Coaxial output also did not provide stereo output.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    The left side only audio known in technical terms as Mono is a result of using a tv with stereo with the coax connection coming from the DCT700 cable box. The DCT700 does not transmit stereo over the coax connection and only does so through the RCA cables (Red and White). The picture is also slightly improved when using the RCA (Yellow) instead of the coax.

See page 21 of the Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    You know you didn't have to the use the coaxial output for the original box and could have gotten rid of the A-B switch? All you needed was to use the RCA cables and connect your antenna to the coaxial. Coaxial output also did not provide stereo output.
    I wasn't aware that the DCT700 didnt output stereo over coaxial, also I was under the impression that generally the yellow in the RCA cable produced poor quality video, surprise to read otherwise, thats the reason I never used it for video from my older cable box, that and the fact that I want to sometime listen to audio only from the cable box via my component set without having the TV on, to do that I had to have a switch in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Being...
    Thought...

isn't the power stated on the power supply or the unit? Or you can calculate the power based on stated voltage and Amps.
    Corrections noted.

See if you can calculate how much watt this modem use from the figures on the tag:
    ~115-240 VAC 50/60HZ 0.7A Max
    I got 84 watts
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Feb 8, 2016 at 04:14 PM.

Plugged my Arris into my KillAWatt meter. 16Watts under normal conditions. And the TV box is about 6 Watts.

Corrections noted.

See if you can calculate how much watt this modem use from the figures on the tag:
    ~115-240 VAC 50/60HZ 0.7A Max
    I got 84 watts
    Yes got 84w. That's max though, could be using less.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by 5dB View Post
    Plugged my Arris into my KillAWatt meter. 16Watts under normal conditions. And the TV box is about 6 Watts.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I know that 84watt figure seem too high, although this thing runs hot.
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Feb 9, 2016 at 06:07 PM.

Just 'upgraded' from Flow's old HD boxes (2) to the AVS system - Quad play combo with old C&W landline number ported to Flow and cellphone transferred to package. The technician didn't do any rewiring, even though I had a couple of splitters in the existing cabling. He did check the signal though and strength/quality showed as '100%' on the tv when loading.

Assorted random thoughts, some trivial, some not so trivial, on the cable system after a couple of days playing around. Somehave already been mentioned elsewhere :

Things that are better on the new system:
    - ability to watch any program that is in progress from the beginning - so if you stumble across something that looks interesting you can watch it from the start
    - channels you actually get are shown in red. Channels you don't are in grey (although under the old system you could manually hide channels you don't get)
    - remote is smaller and has fewer superfluous buttons (tip: if you use a universal remote like Harmony, the controls seem to work if you tell it it that it is a Cablemas HD box)
    - ability to watch a recorded show on any tv
    - a lot cheaper
    - more HD channels
    - as somebody else said, the box is small enough to hide behind your TV and you can use the supplied IR blaster
    - channel numbering more logical/no duplicates

things that are worse on the new system:
    - pausing/rewinding is cumbersome unless you put a thumb drive in the back of the box (thanks for the tip GPRS Internet !!)
    - only one tuner so you can't jump between two channels and rewind each
    - channel guide does not indicate whether an episode is new or not
    - apparently no ability to record all first run episodes in a series - this was very easy under the old system. There is a 'keyword' recording option under the new system, but haven't worked out how to use it yet.
    - takes more keypresses to change channels
    - video stutters occasionally..am watching this. Used to occasionally get terrible pixelation on the old system though.
    - on one of my tvs, picture initially seems duller than using old boxes..needed to tweak tv settings
    - no clock on box - didn't realise how much I looked at this
    - generally executing commands seems to be fiddlier - although could just be I haven't got used to the new system yet.

General comments
    The Video on demand seems pretty much a waste of time. The biggest selection is on the adult section.
    re the landline phone, if you want multiple instruments they'd have to be cordless, unless you want to run phone wire all over the place - you won't be able to use the existing C&W wiring. Not sure what happens in a power cut...the modem has a battery. Assuming the Flow system doesn't go down, you'd need to either have a combo coded/cordless phone system or plug in a corded phone that gets its power from the phone line so at least the 'base station' still works.
    Re the internet, the wifi signal from the modem is much weaker than that from my own router. Also doesn't seem to allow port forwarding, so I have turned off the modem's wifi signal
    Re the installation process, as had been said elsewhere the visit to the Flow office was a nightmare - a long wait then a long session in a small room that smelled strongly of feet. The technician arrived early and was pretty efficient.

End of random thoughts

@boris
    Thanks for the review. With regards to the phone line you can use existing C&W wiring but you must firstly ensure that the original copper wires from the poles that went to a small plastic box is disconnected. Find your "master jack" and run the phone line from the modem to this jack and then you are good to go. Seek someone with experience and don't try to do it on your own if you don't understand what you are doing.

Since you have your own router you can place FLOW's modem back in bridge mode where your router handles all the routing and port forwarding duties. This may affect your cable boxes if it gets an IP from your router so use trial and error. Instructions are within another thread in the forum.