Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free—Even For Pirated Copies

Default Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free—Even For Pirated Copies

Microsoft has announced that it will give be giving free upgrades of Windows 10 to anyone who uses Windows right now—even if they're currently running pirated copies of the operating system.

Speaking to Reuters, Microsoft's operating system chief Terry Myerson explained from China that Microsoft will be "upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." (It's not yet exactly clear as to what counts as "qualified"; we've reached out to Microsoft to find out.) The move is apparently an attempt to "re-engage" users that currently run pirated software in China. Illegal version of Windows are a huge problem there: recent estimates suggest that 75 percent of PCs in the country run pirated copies of the OS.
    Read more: http://gizmodo.com/all-windows-10-up...opy-1692096375

I don't know if this is good news or bad news for the pirates.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I smell NSA all over this....
    Calm Like a BOMB

Lol this has trap written all over it. This is M$ strategy to lure everyone to their 'free' operating system and then use it to advertise their products and others, by being a standalone google for Desktop, Tablets and Smartphones. Cheeky bastards, but I ain't complaining .
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Just this morning I read they were running test on getting Windows 10 to run on Android phones, then just a few weeks ago they announce they are developing a version of Windows 10 to run on the new Raspberry Pi, and now this. It's should be clear by now their strategy.

They are trying to go the MAC OSX route to get more market share I think.

Dont sell the OS but rape our wallets in other ways.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Welcome to 2015. The year of free OS filled with micro transaction and product offerings, early access games that may or may not be completed, pre-ordering of games that may not be released at date specified and much much more .
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Happy to know they are seeing the light. There are many ways to make money and sometimes sticking to the old way is what kills you. look at BB.

Services are the future of tech. expensive devices and OS are soon to be obsolete. The real money is in services. If everyone is connected through a device that you control then the rest is as simple as ABC.

I could never understand why they wasted so much time trying to collect for something that can be pirated.

Try pirating a decent cloud offering or a subscription SAAS you would be wasting your time.

The success of netfilx is a prime example of where everything is heading. see flow offering HD and streaming services to fight it.

I see the RIAA still trying to fight off steaming services like pandora which tend to give away music at a ludicrously cheap rate but the days of being a platinum selling millionaire is about to end. you better start touring if you want to eat because the rest of us are just ripping your stuff from youtube anyways.

It was noted that aloe blac and avicci only made USD $4,000 from royalties from the major streaming services for 2014 although being the #1 streamed song on the net for that year. LOL. thank good fo mega concerts. lol.

My point is people are not going to pay more than they have to for the things they need. maybe they will pay a bit more for what they want but not what they need.
    THANK GOD

There are several problems this thinking like this. But first, the question that no one has satisfactorily answered - why is MSFT giving away billions of dollars worth of money? Because they are not an operating system company - they are an Enterprise Company. See their revenues.

And if you think this does not apply to Win10:

"It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device," according to the explanation. "Devices must be connected to the Internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."

Office 365, the Microsoft Azure platform, and Dynamics CRM have increase in profits by 115 percent in the last 3 months - so the "cloud" is making growing fast enough. Nokia is also making money from Nokia -330 million. Personally, I think they will make a third world smart phone tat will take the world like the legendary 3310. Microsoft seems to just be going to Plan A, consumers being Plan B.

I see the RIAA still trying to fight off steaming services like pandora which tend to give away music at a ludicrously cheap rate but the days of being a platinum selling millionaire is about to end. you better start touring if you want to eat because the rest of us are just ripping your stuff from youtube anyways.

It was noted that aloe blac and avicci only made USD $4,000 from royalties from the major streaming services for 2014 although being the #1 streamed song on the net for that year. LOL. thank good fo mega concerts. lol.

My point is people are not going to pay more than they have to for the things they need. maybe they will pay a bit more for what they want but not what they need.
    This is definitely the type of morally corrupt thinking that is part and parcel with geeks and nerds. That such thinking is so common on this forum is no surprise, seeing that every other post is about gadgets and consumption, with very little in the way of creation. If they actually did any creating, they would understand the hardd work that it takes in the creation of any desired product. Take the above geek for example. He believes that the "RIAA" is fighting Pandora and that "mega-concerts" will fix this. No. Pandora is merely the latest in the line of companies who want to make money of other people's work by changing the laws to make the maket work for them. For example:

The Internet radio service is currently asking Congress to cut musicians' pay for digital radio plays by 85 percent. While a similar campaign failed last year – thanks in part to a letter signed by more than 125 musicians including Pink Floyd, Billy Joel and Rihanna – this time around Pandora is reaching out to artists and asking them to sign a letter of support for Internet radio. But according to the members of Pink Floyd, the letter does not mention the massive royalty cut, and instead reads: "We are all fervent advocates for the fair treatment of artists."
    "Mega Concerts?" People can be only at one place at once, so concerts are zero sum, unlike a record collection. You will still have your Platinum sellers like Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift - but you will also have stories like My Song Got Played On Pandora 1 Million Times and All I Got Was $16.89, Less Than What I Make From a Single T-Shirt Sale!. Dude may as well stuck with FM Radio!

Typical nerd think is that they should not have to pay for the things that they want. They are like children at Toy's R Us - they want every thing that is their but don't want to pay for it. Well in the words of Aloe Blacc -

After all, if songwriters cannot afford to make music, who will?
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

You guys both made good points there, but ahm.. have to remember this is M$ we're talking about. Prime example of their marketing strategy is when they got rid of the Kinect from Xbox One and reduced the pricing on the Xbox one during the holidays and racked up the sales selling more than PS4 in that period.

This strategy is even better for them, as let's face it, people who pirate softwares, games, movies, etc. would usually be considered 'no buyers'. So if they can get the software legitimately for 'free', then M$ will now have more users that they can make product offers to and also advertise to for other companies.

This strategy has been working for 'free to play' games for the longest time now and a prime example is this game most of us on Techja used to play called 'Silkroad Online'. We joined that game and had lots of good times and was so addicted, that we actually started buying items with real money just to even be able to connect to the servers lol.

The only thing you need for your product is an audience and then you find ways to get as much of them to pay you later.

ere's been confusion around the offer to pirates since Microsoft first discussed it yesterday. It was originally reported that pirates will be able to upgrade for free, but Microsoft has declined to explicitly confirm this. It certainly sounds like pirates will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost — the alternative, that they could pay to upgrade to a copy of Windows that still isn't considered genuine, would be strange — but it's quite possible that Microsoft will include some restrictions on unofficial copies that have yet to be mentioned. It could be a limited offer, include a trial period, or have some other promotion around acquiring a genuine license.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/82...payment-option

Could be along the lines of what was said above - we will see

Microsoft has clarified that people who are running a pirated copy of Windows will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 relatively easily. However, their Windows license will remain invalid after the upgrade process is complete, meaning they won't really be getting a "free" upgrade to Windows 10.
    http://www.techspot.com/news/60112-p...ree-valid.html
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Mar 20, 2015 at 10:17 AM.