Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13,181
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Thanks for pointing it out GeniusDragon. One can never be too lax on security.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

    Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2009

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,040
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matronyx View Post
    Well the concept is similar to a passerby, in this case yourself, noticing that someone left their car door ajar. Instead of announcing it to the world at that moment, might have been courteous to inform said owner.
    You zimmi....
    Then if no response within a reasonable time you escalate the matter appropriately.

    Thanks for the tip though, just another reason to create username/passwords unique to each site that you log into.
    As it would relate to this situation (post).. the car door is being left open because of a fault due to the manufacturer.. not the owner of the car.

    A 'courteous' passerby would instruct the owner to look into the manufacturer flaw or the passerby would contact the manufacturer directly and make them aware of the problem.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

    FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    As it would relate to this situation (post).. the car door is being left open because of a fault due to the manufacturer.. not the owner of the car.

    A 'courteous' passerby would instruct the owner to look into the manufacturer flaw or the passerby would contact the manufacturer directly and make them aware of the problem.
    What flaw? if someone left their door open how is that manufacturer fault?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,040
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    What flaw? if someone left their door open how is that manufacturer fault?
    Was making an example.. but there might be an issue with the locking mechanism.. there might be an issue with the alarm system disarming.. can be a million reasons.. (In theory)

    Just beating at the point that the issue is manufacturer ralated. (Forum software)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Was making an example.. but there might be an issue with the locking mechanism.. there might be an issue with the alarm system disarming.. can be a million reasons.. (In theory)

    Just beating at the point that the issue is manufacturer ralated. (Forum software)
    Lol the scenario was specific. The locks are working. Stick to the topic. The door was left open, which happens to everyone. Which is not manufacturer related.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,040
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Lol the scenario was specific. The locks are working. Stick to the topic. The door was left open, which happens to everyone. Which is not manufacturer related.
    It relates.. websites have various levels of security based on the software/content management system they use.

    TechJamaica does not have the level of security it has because the site owner choose it.. it has it because it is what's provided by vBulletin.

    There are plugins/add-ons which can be installed to boost security (I have many installed on my site)

    I would appreciate more if you point out a problem and offer insight into how the problem can be fixed.. telling me to go find it myself is very disingenuous.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    It relates.. websites have various levels of security based on the software/content management system they use.

    TechJamaica does not have the level of security it has because the site owner choose it.. it has it because it is what's provided by vBulletin.

    There are plugins/add-ons which can be installed to boost security (I have many installed on my site)

    I would appreciate more if you point out a problem and offer insight into how the problem can be fixed.. telling me to go find it myself is very disingenuous.
    I see you cant stay on topic or admit someone is right. no problem.

    You dont have to use stock vBulletin. It can be edited to add stuff that dont come with it. It is called programming.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,040
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Not about being wrong or right..

    Add stuff.. did original poster offer any insight into adding stuff? Did he mention ways in which security can be improved. Nope.. he said we must go find out ourselves..

    Original poster seems to be an alter ego of yours lol

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Not about being wrong or right..

    Add stuff.. did original poster offer any insight into adding stuff? Did he mention ways in which security can be improved. Nope.. he said we must go find out ourselves..

    Original poster seems to be an alter ego of yours lol
    You are wrong, it has nothing to do with manufacturer if someone leaves their door open. But you have to add "ifs" and "buts" to avoid being wrong

    Well he started by alerting of the security flaws and he also mention SSL. Implementing these things can be huge task especially when modifying someone else software.

    It has to be worth doing. In my opinion it isnt worth it on a forum like this where no transactions happen (site owner might think otherwise). However he is not wrong in posting what he did.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Here is how to implement SSl on vbulletin https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...tall_ssl_login
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •