Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,974
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    This is a tech forum... if you point out a problem, if you know the solution it's in every-ones best interest for you to post info as to how to fix the problem..
    Unless my perception of a tech forum is totally wrong..



    I always look at things from all angles.. not just one angle as most people living in boxes..
    So people here always tend to have issues with things I say if It don't mesh with what they say...

    The dude made post that their are security issues here and on my site... thanks for pointing out the issues, but what are the solutions, he offered none, seems his agenda is he wants us to run to him asking for a fix (which he may then charge for lol)

    All those banks that got hacked and lost over $1 Billion did you send out a warning to them as well.. lol

    The man say me must refrain from posting if I don't have anything constructive.. OK TechJamaica police..
    I'm still waiting for you to post a solution to the problems you outlined..

    Not agreeing and making excuses are 2 different things. 90% of the time I disagree with people.

    He did mention SSL though.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,005
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I made no excuses.. More so I made no excuses for my Website..
    I posted info as to the security SMF uses.. Millions of site use vBulletin/SMF, not just TechJA and my site...

    Any website is open to hacks #Fact
    No Website is Hack proof #Fact

    Me making those two points drives the point that security is only as secure as you think it is.. yes some sites will be easier to hack than some but that is no justification that a site with low security will be hacked compared to a site with HIGH LEVEL SECURITY....

    The guy did not say vBulletin or SMF sites.. he said TechJamaica and ShopinJA.com .. He made direct references..

    The topic says: TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree..
    So what is he suggesting.. that we all stop using TechJamaica until the problem (That he sees) is fixed ??

    Would have made more sense to say TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree here is how to make it safer..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

    FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    This is a tech forum... if you point out a problem, if you know the solution it's in every-ones best interest for you to post info as to how to fix the problem..
    Unless my perception of a tech forum is totally wrong..



    I always look at things from all angles.. not just one angle as most people living in boxes..
    So people here always tend to have issues with things I say if It don't mesh with what they say...

    The dude made post that their are security issues here and on my site... thanks for pointing out the issues, but what are the solutions, he offered none, seems his agenda is he wants us to run to him asking for a fix (which he may then charge for lol)

    All those banks that got hacked and lost over $1 Billion did you send out a warning to them as well.. lol

    The man say me must refrain from posting if I don't have anything constructive.. OK TechJamaica police..
    I'm still waiting for you to post a solution to the problems you outlined..
    Ok seems i did not get my point through.

    You seem to be immature. Why do i say this? You constantly continue to make little jokes and such to put me down to try and boost your ego.

    The only issue here now is that you dont find what i said reason enough to run a free online vulnerability scan on your website to get more details about YOUR problem. You making reference about banks and why i didnt warn them is clearly your way of getting a ego boost from the fact that you know im right about what i said.

    My post was to help those involved to make their product better which would benefit then in the long run. Is it my job to go and find you a solution? No because i did my part by making you aware of a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I made no excuses.. More so I made no excuses for my Website..
    I posted info as to the security SMF uses.. Millions of site use vBulletin/SMF, not just TechJA and my site...

    Any website is open to hacks #Fact
    No Website is Hack proof #Fact

    Me making those two points drives the point that security is only as secure as you think it is.. yes some sites will be easier to hack than some but that is no justification that a site with low security will be hacked compared to a site with HIGH LEVEL SECURITY....

    The guy did not say vBulletin or SMF sites.. he said TechJamaica and ShopinJA.com .. He made direct references..

    The topic says: TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree..
    So what is he suggesting.. that we all stop using TechJamaica until the problem (That he sees) is fixed ??

    Would have made more sense to say TechJamaica is unsafe to a degree here is how to make it safer..
    Is that what i said?

    Here is another excuse "Any website is open to hacks #Fact
    No Website is Hack proof #Fact"

    You havent updated your software for your site in years.#Fact
    All vulnerabilities that could be avioided could be if you simply updated your software on the site.#Fact
    Software update are to prevent vulnerabilities that are now preventable so the fact that its been years since an update meant you are litterally doing nothing to secure your users and their information. #Fact

    The entire time youve been posting to this thread, you could have updated your software, completed a vulnerability scan on the new software and made your site safer for your users instead of being a Troll #Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Not agreeing and making excuses are 2 different things. 90% of the time I disagree with people.

    He did mention SSL though.
    Yes i did and i didn't have to. Its his job to take a serious look at his site and find his own solutions. If he couldn't find any he couldn't have come back here and asked us.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,005
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusDragon View Post
    Ok seems i did not get my point through.

    You seem to be immature. Why do i say this? You constantly continue to make little jokes and such to put me down to try and boost your ego.

    The only issue here now is that you dont find what i said reason enough to run a free online vulnerability scan on your website to get more details about YOUR problem. You making reference about banks and why i didnt warn them is clearly your way of getting a ego boost from the fact that you know im right about what i said.

    My post was to help those involved to make their product better which would benefit then in the long run. Is it my job to go and find you a solution? No because i did my part by making you aware of a problem.
    You see me laughing and making jokes as being immature ?? lol
    I have a sense of humor.. something that many people lack..

    If a make little jokes, wouldn't it be better to say I'm a joker vs saying I'm immature ?? lol
    Unless of-course you think that all jokers are immature.. lol

    You have no clue as the the level of maturity I have.. neither do I have a clue as to the level of maturity you have, this is a Tech-Forum, this is the internet, NEVER take things personally...

    Ok, let me play your game... How does Tech Jamaica and ShopinJA fix the issues you have outlined ???

    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusDragon View Post
    Is that what i said?

    Here is another excuse "Any website is open to hacks #Fact
    No Website is Hack proof #Fact"

    You havent updated your software for your site in years.#Fact
    All vulnerabilities that could be avioided could be if you simply updated your software on the site.#Fact
    Software update are to prevent vulnerabilities that are now preventable so the fact that its been years since an update meant you are litterally doing nothing to secure your users and their information. #Fact

    The entire time youve been posting to this thread, you could have updated your software, completed a vulnerability scan on the new software and made your site safer for your users instead of being a Troll #Fact
    I am running the latest version of SMF 1.1.X The update to 1.1.20 was done a few months ago..
    SMF still updates 1.1.x to patch many security issues.. so It would be in your best interest to do some more research before you post..

    I cannot update to version 2.0 for various reasons.. I'm running lots of plugins and customs edits that wont be compatible on SMF 2.X

    Do you think updating forum software from 1.1.x to 2.0 is a one 5 minute click process lol man... go do some research please.. lol
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

    FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    956
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Well, this is an interesting discussion.
    I've always thought that Jamaican websites (majority) don't pay security any mind because both users and owners think that there is nothing of value to be stolen by a hack. Case-in-point, the recent kerfuffle with the government website displaying people's loan information or the 'Drupageddeon' hack that brought down a couple .gov websites.

    It seems things are starting to change...
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,034
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have one question...

    Did you bring this "weakness" to the attention of the site administrators before publishing your assumptions here?
    Calm Like a BOMB

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Well, this is an interesting discussion.
    I've always thought that Jamaican websites (majority) don't pay security any mind because both users and owners think that there is nothing of value to be stolen by a hack. Case-in-point, the recent kerfuffle with the government website displaying people's loan information or the 'Drupageddeon' hack that brought down a couple .gov websites.

    It seems things are starting to change...
    People in Jamaica have yet to understand the value of information. Thats why i urge sites like this or ShopInJa.com to take security a bit more serious.

    I just did a online scan of this site and here are the findings.

    Last edited by GeniusDragon; Feb 18, 2015 at 05:01 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matronyx View Post
    I have one question...

    Did you bring this "weakness" to the attention of the site administrators before publishing your assumptions here?
    With the little traffic this site gets, i was hoping the admins would see this post put their two cents in on this topic instead of just a private chat.This isnt really a weakness that just occured, the vulnerabilities have been there and its the Admins jobs to stay up to date on security.

    Its not just a TechJamaica issue, i want all webmasters here to be more vigilant when it comes to securing their sites especially if they have their own servers.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,034
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well the concept is similar to a passerby, in this case yourself, noticing that someone left their car door ajar. Instead of announcing it to the world at that moment, might have been courteous to inform said owner.
    You zimmi....
    Then if no response within a reasonable time you escalate the matter appropriately.

    Thanks for the tip though, just another reason to create username/passwords unique to each site that you log into.
    Last edited by matronyx; Feb 18, 2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Calm Like a BOMB

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matronyx View Post
    Well the concept is similar to a passerby, in this case yourself, noticing that someone left their car door ajar. Instead of announcing it to the world at that moment, might have been courteous to inform said owner.
    You zimmi....
    Then if no response within a reasonable time you escalate the matter appropriately.

    Thanks for the tip though, just another reason to create username/passwords unique to each site that you log into.
    Lets mention the elephant in the room. This is a TECH forum. What i was talking about wasn't some vulnerability that i just found. I am talking about basic security measures that i shouldn't not have to had contact the owners of this site for.

    In regards to your example, of a car door....If someone who owns a car that leaves it open every day and has not made an effort to lock their door, its not my responsibility to fix their neglect. What i said in my original post isnt about some backdoor i just discovered or something. Its a lack of care meaning its been this way for a long time so putting it out here will make people take notice faster.

    Im here to stay and im here to make light of things that are overlooked. You guys make me smarter and i will do the same. Im done explaining myself but i do hope this helps at least one person.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •