Thread: Creating the new Jamaica Portals

Lightbulb Creating the new Jamaica Portals

Hello there,

GeniusDragon here to say whats up to all my JA tech heads. I have a few projects that ill be starting end of month. I saw that Loop.Trade is starting a online classifieds and they've been advertising alot on the radio and Google ads. Their website is made with a wordpress theme from and there aren't many Jamaica participants. I think their web address confuses people. Loop.Trade is one of those new extensions that has been coming out since 2013 but most people have never heard of them except tech heads maybe.

I like that their trying a new extension and being unique but it will take them a while to get people to just know that's where they should go online. My plans are similar but im more Jamaica focused. Ill be creating a directory site that lists nearly every business in Jamaica over time and eventually get new businesses to sign up. The yellow pages is severely unreliable because they don't delete obsolete businesses. So going through their website you run into wasted time calling numbers that are no longer in service or just got changed. I want to make a directory based on Google Maps that also shows the location of these businesses.

I will also start a internet marketing company in Jamaica that focuses on getting your business online the right way. The third project i am working on is a job site for Jamaica and im going to try to make this one the best as far as development. Ill be connecting with all major Jamaican companies to provide job seekers updated listings of jobs.

All these sites will be connected to my internet marketing business which will allow me to offer companies who seek my services, many different places to advertise their businesses to strictly Jamaicans. This creates a loop that keeps the focus on Jamaica and its needs. I am confident in my skills as a developer to bring my country to the front lines of online commerce. Seems that the majority of good jamaican websites are usually done by companies who want to make a quick buck rather than help the country.

If your interested in jumping on these projects let me know by providing a email address in my inbox or below.

Their website is made with a wordpress theme from and there aren't many Jamaica participants.
    I think you missed a word in this sentence. Also what do you mean by extensions? Are you make a reference to 'plugins' as used in a WordPress context?
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Extension means domain extension.

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusDragon View Post
    Extension means domain extension.
    OK... TLDs is how I refer to them. You are correct, the new TLDs will confuse most Jamaicans, no doubt about that. Its just like how radio and TV ads always say a "W... W... W" when mentioning a URL, its like they don't know that the "www" is not necessary. Anyway... get one of the new TLD if it's "catchy" enough BUT also get the '.com' and use a 301 redirect to point new TLD.

Or get the '.com' and use it for now but also buy the new TLD to reserve it for use when they become more main-stream. Imagine giving someone your email as 'sales@business.trade' and then they add a '.com' when sending you an email. Proper use of the new TLDs will be a process of re-education.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

They certainly should have secured the dot com first but its old news on that front. Look at Digicel. They dont own their own dot com and its a parked page which means im sure the owner might be willing to sell. Or they could be enjoying the passive income from traffic revenue. Either way it goes to show that some companies will use a different URL instead of paying for the one that matches their company name.