Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Ranks Digicel As Slowest In The Region

Default Netflix Ranks Digicel As Slowest In The Region

Netflix, in January, rated Digicel's data transfer speed at 0.69 Megabits per second, and Mexico's Totalplay as the fastest with a speed of 3.53Mbps.

The speed is arrived at by testing the data transfer rate of an Internet service provider during prime time for three hours.

The Netflix report also records an average speed of 1.38Mbps for LIME and 2.37Mbps for Flow.

Digicel Group said, in response, that the Netflix report was incorrect as its service delivers speeds well above what is reported. It did not say what those recorded speeds are.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business5.html

and you people flock to this crap. SMH
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Well Digicel using Mobile Data... so it's a given that it would be slower compared to fixed lines..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well Digicel using Mobile Data... so it's a given that it would be slower compared to fixed lines..
    No its not a given. Digicel says it is broadband. So its good comparison.

Keep fooling the masses digicel. Bout 4G LOL
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Yea, but speed for speed, a wired connection will always beat a wireless connection, let alone a mobile wireless connection.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

Yea, but speed for speed, a wired connection will always beat a wireless connection, let alone a mobile wireless connection.

Not true where internet is concerned. Wire only have better latency. No internet speed in Jamaica saturate wireless. So that point is mute.

my data speed is 10Mbps on my phone. Really there is no excuse for digicel. That is not 4G or even 2G.

Bottom line is Digicel Data sucks the most and they make the most money.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

It sucks yea.. It's not bad for light stuff.. it's certainly not 2G lol... you mad..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

It sucks yea.. It's not bad for light stuff.. it's certainly not 2G lol... you mad..
    Lol at an average of 0.69 Megabits per second it is almost 2G.

With EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), you have a theoretical transfer speed of max. 1 mbit/s (500 kbit/s in practice).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G

Dwl
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

No. Stop that. Digicel has always advertised its 4G offering as "Mobile Broadband". Even if it is just treated as "4G" by the definition as to what 4G is, they should'nt have any problems with maintaining at least a 4Mbps download rate.
    The truth of the matter is the their "4G" is just a marketing ploy. I am pretty sure that their version of 4G is not like 4G in other regions. What makes matters worst is they were the ones to first block VOIP data on their network because of supposed "network congestion". How crap must your network be if you cant handle VOIP data traffic from a few hundred connections?

Their network is just not provisioned adequately to handle (mild?) data usage. They must have thought that Jamaicans would only want to chat each other on Facebook or send emails. They were never prepared for Jamaican wanting to download 40+Gb games from Steam and watching Netflix in 1080P
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    No. Stop that. Digicel has always advertised its 4G offering as "Mobile Broadband". Even if it is just treated as "4G" by the definition as to what 4G is, they should'nt have any problems with maintaining at least a 4Mbps download rate.
    The truth of the matter is the their "4G" is just a marketing ploy. I am pretty sure that their version of 4G is not like 4G in other regions. What makes matters worst is they were the ones to first block VOIP data on their network because of supposed "network congestion". How crap must your network be if you cant handle VOIP data traffic from a few hundred connections?

Their network is just not provisioned adequately to handle (mild?) data usage. They must have thought that Jamaicans would only want to chat each other on Facebook or send emails. They were never prepared for Jamaican wanting to download 40+Gb games from Steam and watching Netflix in 1080P
    Reason I said what I said is that network speed will depend on how many people on the network... My point is that even if they were offering true 4G once allot of people on the network the connection would deteriorate.

On a wired/fixed connection you would have far less degradation.