Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenProj (Project Management Software) Installation Issus

Question OpenProj (Project Management Software) Installation Issus

Does anyone use OpenProj? I downloaded the file from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/openproj/ but once unzipped I cannot find an application file to install. The help says there is supposed to be a .msi file, but i cannot find it. Any ideas?
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

I know of OpenProj, never used it though. As an alternative, have you taken a look at ProjectLibre? I have no experience with it but it appears to be downloaded more and updated more recently than OpenProj so it may be worth taking a look at. Also, it's MS Project 2003-2010 files so that's a plus.

Any questions on Project Management ask away. I'm no expert but can share what little I know.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

The file you're most likely downloading is the TAR.GZ - you need the MSI which is in the FILES section.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open...0Binaries/1.4/

You also have the option of downloading the ZIP and then running the BAT file there to open the application portably.

If you specifically want 1.3.1 then use the link below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open...inaries/1.3.1/
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    The file you're most likely downloading is the TAR.GZ - you need the MSI which is in the FILES section.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open...0Binaries/1.4/

You also have the option of downloading the ZIP and then running the BAT file there to open the application portably.

If you specifically want 1.3.1 then use the link below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open...inaries/1.3.1/
    Awesome! Thank you; the msi was what i needed. Thanks so much...
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I know of OpenProj, never used it though. As an alternative, have you taken a look at ProjectLibre? I have no experience with it but it appears to be downloaded more and updated more recently than OpenProj so it may be worth taking a look at. Also, it's MS Project 2003-2010 files so that's a plus.

Any questions on Project Management ask away. I'm no expert but can share what little I know.
    Hey thanks; I looked at that as well but as the course I am starting tomorrow requested that we use OpenProj because he prefers that application and the materials will be based on that as well. Thanks for your reply though
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    Hey thanks; I looked at that as well but as the course I am starting tomorrow requested that we use OpenProj because he prefers that application and the materials will be based on that as well. Thanks for your reply though
    Oh ok, that's a good reason to stick with it. Either way, understanding the PM principles is what's important, any tool can be used. Just keep in mind that merely learning and using these tools does not on a PM.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

"ProjectLibre is an open source alternative to Microsoft Project. It is also the new updated version of OpenProj. We were the developers of OpenProj A compliment to Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice."

Definitely sounds like Openproj is no longer actively maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    "ProjectLibre is an open source alternative to Microsoft Project. It is also the new updated version of OpenProj. We were the developers of OpenProj A compliment to Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice."

Definitely sounds like Openproj is no longer actively maintained.
    That info slipped me. If that's the case then ProjectLibre is definitely the way to go.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That info slipped me. If that's the case then ProjectLibre is definitely the way to go.
    My course began this morning and contrary to the previous course details, they are in fact asking that we use ProjectLibre. Sigh....So I will uninstall openproj and install ProjectLibre...thanks guys!
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    My course began this morning and contrary to the previous course details, they are in fact asking that we use ProjectLibre. Sigh....So I will uninstall openproj and install ProjectLibre...thanks guys!
    Although it's more work for you, it's a good sign - otherwise you could expect an outdated course
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com