Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Network

Default Slow Network

For me this is very strange but i guess you learn something new everyday !! We installed some IP/dial-up Credit Card machines at one of our locations over night. In the morning i noticed our network was moving super slow, there were delays connecting to the main server and as soon as i unplugged the Cat5 from the CC machines, network went back to normal ! Has anyone every experienced this or able say what would cause this.

PS. It doesn't seem to be an ip conflict as i have checked the IP availability plus did both DHCP and Static setup.
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

It would be very strange that these CC machines are generating that much traffic to cause this.
    Do you have anything installed on your router/firewall to monitor the actual packets on your network?
    If not, install wireshark and connect your machine to one of the CCs and see whats being broadcast from the little buggers.

In general though, I would put all CC machines on a separate network.
    Calm Like a BOMB

Quote Originally Posted by matronyx View Post
    In general though, I would put all CC machines on a separate network.
    I have never worked with these devices. However, by default, broadcasts don't travel through routers. If the devices are sending out lots of network broadcasts, this suggestion should work. Network here, means sub-net.

Noted. I have never fully understood how to setup and interpret wireshark but i guess for this time some more effort will do the trick. I'll also try putting them on a separate subnet and see what gives. Will post results.
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I have never worked with these devices. However, by default, broadcasts don't travel through routers. If the devices are sending out lots of network broadcasts, this suggestion should work. Network here, means sub-net.
    Tested one machine on a separate sub-net, same results. Even used a subnet completely out of the domain and everything was the same, network significantly slow !
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Ran more test today and found that i couldn't even ping the IP of the C/C machine.
    2) Did a tracert to our server before the C/C is connected Results: 1ms after connecting C/C, Results: 544ms
    3) Wireshark fails to see the machine when i did a capture test.
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Wireshark doesn't see the MAC of the machine either? Is there a specific part in the hops where the ping goes up or it's just higher overall when the C/C machines are connected?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Does the c/c machines use dhcp or static ip?
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Wireshark doesn't see the MAC of the machine either? Is there a specific part in the hops where the ping goes up or it's just higher overall when the C/C machines are connected?
    Wireshark shows when i try to ping the C/C machine but that's just it, the hops increase overall.

Quote Originally Posted by kknight View Post
    Does the c/c machines use dhcp or static ip?
    Tried Both and the results were the same. It however, turns out that the problem was that the C/C machine used 10base -T speed and our switches are basic switches hence they were unable to regulate the differences in speed. So now we need to upgrade to managed switches where the C/C can be on their own VLAN. Any Managed Switch recommendations ?
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

dont skimp spend the money and get a Cisco managed switch
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......