Thread: Game of the Year 2014

Default Game of the Year 2014

What do you guys think? Shadow of Mordor deserved it or not? I have this game to play but haven't installed it as yet and will do as soon as I finish the one I on now. But based on all I have seen and heard about this game mix of Assassins Creed and Batman,(specially this Nemesis System), sounds like it's deserving of it, especially since it's one of the only game released this year that isn't broken on release:

Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

seems alot of people think shadow of mordor sucked

If it was up to me... No single player game would ever get game of the year.

A game should last years and have replay value. Much like millions still playing COD 4 and COD WAW. The last two great CODs that were made.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Mordor is a good game, but not for me, personally. I prefer my hack and slash games to be more skill and combo based. My personal GOTY is Dragon Age Inquisition, which has a lot of replay value, even outside of MP. It's not like it had much competition though. 2014 has been pretty meh for games.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

Yeah kinda agree with you Makkah that Dragon Age was to get it as a lot of people expected that too. But as they explained it's the overall aspects of what makes a game of the year that won this one. If Dragon Age wasn't feeling like a console port to PC it woulda gotten it hands down.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Inquisition couldn't get it. Besides having issues when it first came out. As long as Origins exists and is still a better Dragon age feel, then it won't happen.
    Generally the complaints with Dragon Age seems to be it feels too much like a MMO, with tons of quests that feel like menial labour. You know those quests they shove in MMOs to pad it out. But I think DA:I at least makes it all somewhat feel like it counts to the larger goal.

I don't know if I would give Shadow of Mordor but it is a fantastic game though. I like that the enemies also level up and grow stronger, also that they remember you. So if an Orc kills you and you come back to fight him again, he will be stronger because he got a promotion for killing. But he will also remember that he killed you and be very confused/angry/frightened(depends on the orc) that you are not dead and are trying to kill him again.
    Planing for my play through I'm just going to mind control a bunch of orcs and help them level up by assassinating their superiors. Until all the top Orc Generals are under my control. Then I will use them to confront the last enemy. Should be fun, my own personal espionage unit that bow to all my commands!!!

Still though, you're going to be killing orcs. All the time. Non-stop Orcs. Orc killing simulator. So if you don't like killing orcs all the time, even if it's by assaulting them with bee hives, then....

I was kinda annoyed that one of the judges was all openly pissy about Bayonetta 2 being on the list.
    "As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song
    “Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

I watched all the cutscenes in mordor on youtube. took almost 2 hours. yes, its a orc killing game.