I have a domain name since February which I bought because I liked the name but I was using another name before. Somehow I have been getting a lot more hits nowadays as Google is listing me in top search results for content and when I type the name of my WordPress website it comes up at the top of the search results list so that's okay but it took a year and a half to achieve this.

A blog I have on the -and the sub-domain before gets little to no hits per day. If I get one to four hits in one random day I am lucky. Even with all the promotion as the other blog on the main domain gets this site which I promote equally is a failure and from who have seen in from self promotion, heavy self-promotion, it's not working out. It's stuck in the no hits zone.

Someone on another forum told me that search engines don't easily see sub-domains or sites on sub-domains.
They see the main site mostly. First and foremost and sub sites are waaaaay less recognizable to Google, Bing and others. He has his own web business and all and he seems intelligent and knowledgeable on web design, blogging and such.

I am thinking of getting an additional domain for two reasons. I love the name I have in mind and secondly I want to put my second website that's on my current sub-domain to be more recognizable and gain and better following and better results on search engines. I suspect this is wise but I need a second opinion.

Can someone guide me as to how to proceed. I am building a brand and i have my own Facebook page but the posts that are automatically published to Jetpack only reach people who like my page or maybe a few others linked to those who see my posts from WordPress.

Can I get better chances of getting hits to my WordPress site if I give my website/blog it's own domain name?