Thread: Network Mapping Software

Default Network Mapping Software

Does anybody know of any Network Mapping software that performs the same tasks as Network Magic?

I specifically need:

1. automatic detection of devices on the network
    2. detection of new devices as soon as (or a few seconds after) they are connected
    3. removal of devices when they disconnect
    4. display of connected devices on a graphical network map
    5. display of info such as IP and MAC address, OS, Wired/WiFi connection, Device Name and Type
    6. the ability to edit device properties such as description, name/alias
    7. preferably not a browser based interface

I have been scouring the Internet for a few days and have tried host of programs including SpiceWorks Desktop, but none of them suffice.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

Spiceworks and LANsweeper is what I use
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

A few things to consider based on your request.
    1. You want a Network Monitoring Software...mapping is just a single function of what they do.
    2. Each manufacturer has their own network monitoring tools which make it easy to configure. But in general, all of them depend on SNMP to work.
    3. Detection as soon as they are added - this has many side effects which is why this doesn't happen on any network i know. Polling of the network floods the network with subnet broadcast traffic. You don't want this happening regularly. So unless it's a wireless network, don't expect to use this feature.
    4. Display of Info - sounds like you going from Network Monitoring for network devices to include monitoring of all networked devices. Note, not all computer equipment have SNMP enable to give the monitoring tool the information you require.
    5. Not a browser based interface - ??? Are you going back to the year 2000. Everything is web enabled or browser enabled now.

You will probably need more than one monitoring tool unless you plan to pay for a comprehensive one with agents and all. There are different tools for Desktop Monitoring/Management and Network Monitoring/Management. Take care to note that Monitoring and Management are 2 different things.

Monitoring of Network Equipment
    • Cisco Network Assistant - as the name suggests, works for certain models of Cisco devices. Can map all of network switches/routers but can only manage Cisco a specified subset. Has a limit on # of devices.
    • ManageEngine OpManager - LOVELY and Easy to use.
    • SolarWinds - Does both Network and Networked Devices
    • CA ServiceDesk - dont know if you can buy this. Expensive.
    • Spiceworks - more about monitoring equipment rather than network.

Those are one i have experience with. There are others of course.
    Last edited by zRo ToLeRaNcE; Nov 4, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Hey, I was in the same boat looking for a suitable replacement for Network Magic for years now, I've all but given up lol. Good luck with your search.
    @ZRo Tolerance don't over think this, Network Magic handle all the featured mention pretty well including detection both wired and wireless devices. Network magic worked beautifully on my small home network.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Hey, I was in the same boat looking for a suitable replacement for Network Magic for years now, I've all but given up lol. Good luck with your search.
    @ZRo Tolerance don't over think this, Network Magic handle all the featured mention pretty well including detection both wired and wireless devices. Network magic worked beautifully on my small home network.
    Agree with you 100% on Network Magic. It was fun kicking my friends off my network without them knowing I did it. Still searching for something equal.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

Wow, seems like I am swimming in the ocean here.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies.

I will give LANsweeper a look-see.

Hey jahman182,

The best (FREE) I have found so far: http://www.whoisonmywifi.com/