Thread: NVIDIA Shield Tablet Reviewed!

Thumbs up NVIDIA Shield Tablet Reviewed!

I'm not really interested in Tablet gaming, but I just saw Marques's review on the Shield and was impressed enough to consider it for those looking for powerful tablet options (provided you can afford if ofcourse). It even comes with a Stylus and the controller I think is an optional buy, so no M$ ripoff forcing you to buy the Kinect with their xbox One. The most impressive thing about it though (to me) is definitely the Stylus functions:

Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Review is late, and it does not come with the controller - you have to buy that separate.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

The stylus is lame. When they produce a stylus better than the one with the Note series then I will consider.

Surely powerful, even though the note 4 benchmarks top it. But still nice.

Should have came with controller to even be considered though.

Also yea review is late. I have seen quite a few reviews.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I think it's better to come separate without the controller as some people might get it for other uses besides gaming.

Also what's makes the stylus lame, especially since it's adjustable?
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    I think it's better to come separate without the controller as some people might get it for other uses besides gaming.

Also what's makes the stylus lame, especially since it's adjustable?
    Hmm I see what you are saying, i agree with you there. And this way Nvidia can compete in the normal tablet market also.

But what is stopping me from just buying a controller for a tablet I already own? A non proprietary controller that will work on everything? Yea that is the downside.

When I say the stylus is lame, I meant in comparison to what I am use to. Samsung stylus is miles ahead. Nvidia stylus is good for what it does though.

If this cost less than the next nexus tablet then it will be a good buy as a tablet. As a gaming tablet I am not so sure since it is not sold with controller and all tablets can game.
    Last edited by pezz; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Hmm I see what you are saying, i agree with you there. And this way Nvidia can compete in the normal tablet market also.

But what is stopping me from just buying a controller for a tablet I already own? A non proprietary controller that will work on everything? Yea that is the downside.

When I say the stylus is lame, I meant in comparison to what I am use to. Samsung stylus is miles ahead. Nvidia stylus is good for what it does though.

If this cost less than the next nexus tablet then it will be a good buy as a tablet. As a gaming tablet I am not so sure since it is not sold with controller and all tablets can game.

Yeah all tablets can game, but you and I know that for the real high end games that's where the power of these tablets start to differ.

Sure you can buy a controller for a normal tablet but you might also have to buy the connection separately and it might not be very compatible with some apps and might not be as easy to setup as the shields.

Also it comes with an HDMI port already so that would really be handy for HD output devices without getting an extension for that as well.

Well as i said before I am not really a tablet person, so I'll just take your word for it with the stylus.

Nvidia's brand position/ing is and will be (at least for the immediate future) gaming, they are not looking for the same consumers as an Apple or Samsung where tablets are concerned. The are looking to tap into another segment of the market that has been growing steadily for the past 5 years which is mobile gaming. Frankly Nvidia doesnt want the average web browser, candy crusher buying their devices, they are going for the hardcore gamer.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Nvidia's brand position/ing is and will be (at least for the immediate future) gaming, they are not looking for the same consumers as an Apple or Samsung where tablets are concerned. The are looking to tap into another segment of the market that has been growing steadily for the past 5 years which is mobile gaming. Frankly Nvidia doesnt want the average web browser, candy crusher buying their devices, they are going for the hardcore gamer.
    I agree since Nvidia isn't present in any console this generation, however that market is very small.
    Mobile gaming is dominated by casual gamers. And what is left is filled with Nintendo DS and psp.

Nvidia could be trying to create a new market within the mobile gaming market though. I wish they would make an android console like ouya.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. Thanks for summing it up .

I agree since Nvidia isn't present in any console this generation, however that market is very small.
    Mobile gaming is dominated by casual gamers. And what is left is filled with Nintendo DS and psp.

Nvidia could be trying to create a new market within the mobile gaming market though. I wish they would make an android console like ouya.
    I was curious about that ouya console you were talking about and googled it and this is the first article that came up from forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...asically-dead/

Reading that you can see why they never made it dedicated.
    Last edited by Powpow; Aug 29, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. Thanks for summing it up .

I was curious about that ouya console you were talking about and googled it and this is the first article that came up from forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...asically-dead/

Reading that you can see why they never made it dedicated.
    I didnt say Nvidia should have made Ouya. I said Nvidia should have made a device like it. With Nvidia naming behind it, it would have gone much further.

I am willing to bet Ouya sales and Nvidia Shield sales are similar.

And reading someone's opinion to make a fact is kinda lame. I have an Ouya I use to run Xbmc and test game code I write.
    it is still pretty active and newsletters are sent out every week with upcoming stuff.

Reason I mentioned Ouya is because it is the only device that runs Tegra 3 at full speed.

I am sure no phone will run tegra K1 at full speed and tablets will be throttling like crazy.

With tegra k1 having the theoretical capabilities of a Xbox 360, Nvidia could easily make a console. I would be the first to buy.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup