Thread: Z10 USB Fix

Default Z10 USB Fix

So I needed to find a way to repair the USB port on my Z10. I had purchased it used with issues on the port - the previous owner dropped it a lot and the port got damaged - wouldn't charge properly. So purchased some ports off eBay and did two things:

1. Checked for a USB port fix / schematics online.
    2. Used my wife's Z10 to verify pinouts.

As it turns out this dude called ABUBABLU did some good repair work on a Z10 before and provided solder points for USB, battery and SIM slot on the Z10. I give all credit to this guy because he's a very good electronics tech from the other stuff he posted - unfortunately he doesn't answer back as I've emailed him on this issue.

All of the points check out except for one - his schematic diagram has the #4 USB pin as the CRADLE_USB_ID which is what (I guess) starts the USB connection - exists on my model. There may be a difference in the STL100-1/2/3 boards. There is a solder point near the SD card slot on the phone that does not exist on my model - on mine there's just a row of capacitors (I think they're caps - so small.....) and I can't find where that pin should go.

The original posts I found on GSMARENA and others can be found on another site.

I had to run all the lines using IDE cables because all the solder points on the board for the USB port were torn off during removal - they were just that badly damaged (and I don't have a rework station......) - The phone now charges with no issues, [s]but the USB connection can't work[s] works occasionally - going to check and see if I can fix that permanently.

I'm not sure which model ABUBABLU took his information from, but my model is different. Here are pics of the ports as I've tested and mapped. Most of them are exactly the same as his except one. Hope this helps others with the endeavor. Mine doesn't work so well due to the fact that I thought the connection went to a capacitor where his was in the picture. His pictures were also low quality so I couldn't see it well. It was after some checking that I finally found out the models were different and the points not the same. I probably screwed up something, but it happens to help out others. Hopefully someone else will get their things fixed and not go through this issue. Have fun CB fam. All credits for the original information go to ABUBABLU - kudos.

Pics were originally edited for CB - don't know of a TJ logo else I'd do them over for here. Sorry about that.

Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

You are that lazy that you couldn't take a pic of what you did? -.-
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Those are my pics. I'll take those pics and post up once I'm done on this phonecall.

*EDIT*
    At home and thought the toolkit was in the car. Don't have any of those small tools here so gonna be this evening. I think I do have one of the older ones from the work done. Yeah I do. Bear in mind this one is not the correct wiring for the #4 wire. It was before I found the difference between the correct thing and the original post.

Last edited by khat17; Aug 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

You got skill man.

I dropped my phone once while the charger was plugged in. it fell on the usb connection.

Thankfully the usb cable broke and not the port on the phone. Samsung did well with the port on the note 2. it takes a beating.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Thanks for that pezz. I would do a cleaner and better job too if I had an IR rework station. That was done with my ceramic solder station with the finest tip I have. Working towards getting the rework station though.

Previous owner dropped it a lot. Got it cheap-ish as a result and was working with it until I could manage the fix. I do wish I wasn't so eager and had looked more closely at the information before - or checked it with a working one properly to verify before doing the work - but it's all a part of the learning process. The good thing is - once one person makes a mistake and shares it, nobody else has to make the same mistake.

I have the same info basically over on CB. The link is below. I plan to post the same info here once I get a chance, but I recognize that TJ is not really a BB place - everyone is all about Android or iPhone - BB is like stone age material to most. Still good info to have IMO. Hope it helps someone.

As for the current pics of the phone that PEZZ was asking about - here it is. This is after much trial and error and making wrong connections previously. It's still not as neat as I could get it with the solder station. Once I'm done with the stuff I'll post a writeup on things to look out for and such.

CB link to the info.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sb-fix-953615/