Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 215 applications for Start-Up Jamaica

Default 215 applications for Start-Up Jamaica

Some 215 applications have been received by Start-Up Jamaica (SUJ), the government-sponsored accelerator programme for entrepreneurs with mainly technology-based businesses ideas, according to state minister for technology Julian Robinson.

A quarter of the applicants have qualified so far for the next phase of the programme.

"To date, 55 individuals (including six females) have secured a place in the bootcamp and they have been contacted," said Robinson.

But the numbers could end up being slightly larger.
    Read more: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business5.html

Anyone here had signed up for this?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Here is the website:

http://www.start-upjamaica.com/en/p/list/57094

And here is an article from the Observer with earlier details:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...art-up-Jamaica

We should be able to detect the obvious problems with this program from the website and the above articles alone. It would be best if we develop our own Business Plans and techniques, and seek Investors on our own. Perhaps the mods and admins could create a new topic for this?
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    It would be best if we develop our own Business Plans and techniques, and seek Investors on our own.
    Because that has shown works out much better then getting 30k US dollars, 1 week training in marketing and creating your own business plan and 3 months incubation from industry experts local and overseas right?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Because that has shown works out much better then getting 30k US dollars, 1 week training in marketing and creating your own business plan and 3 months incubation from industry experts local and overseas right?
    Well, I have never seen a grassroots attempt to start a business on this forum. But I have personally seen these types of start-up government initiatives fail on several occasions, due mainly to stereotypes of technical people by the government, and to the wrong type of people sucking up to investors who cannot deliver on their promises. Again, seriously, have we ever seen any of these government incubators succeed at anything?
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

... But I have personally seen these types of start-up government initiatives fail on several occasions, due mainly to stereotypes of technical people by the government...
    To be fair. Upon average. 3 out of every 4 startups or about 90% of them fail.

...for variety of reasons. Often ending in crippling debt. Ultimately bad for the economy. See anything "Student Loan"

So to disparage a government group for failing at the same thing everyone else is failing at is not fair.

I think the manic focus on immediate ROI is a serious distraction but our culture nurtures it...so that must be a good thing right?

"Here's Proof Every Startup Idea You've Ever Had Craigslist Already Does"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/craig...#ixzz3Auw2P0VP
    Last edited by datdread; Aug 20, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Well, I have never seen a grassroots attempt to start a business on this forum. But I have personally seen these types of start-up government initiatives fail on several occasions, due mainly to stereotypes of technical people by the government, and to the wrong type of people sucking up to investors who cannot deliver on their promises. Again, seriously, have we ever seen any of these government incubators succeed at anything?
    I have met many an entrepreneur in my lifetime, and I have been somewhat of a successful one myself, the reasons many startups fail, I can say lay squarely with the entrepreneur themselves. Chiding the Govt for trying to create an incubator is kindly silly. Starting a business is not for everyone, the ones who do succeed understand this better than most. I will say this, tech based companies with the target market being Jamaica will all fail or will not yield the desired results, Marketing 101 know your market/customer.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    The problem is that most of these people that start businesses fail to understand that as a owner you work 24/7.

There is no time off when building a business.

I was a freelance programmer for 2 years (Unity3d).

If I get an email at 2am I better deal with it asap before the client takes their business elsewhere.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    The problem is that most of these people that start businesses fail to understand that as a owner you work 24/7.

There is no time off when building a business.

I was a freelance programmer for 2 years (Unity3d).

If I get an email at 2am I better deal with it asap before the client takes their business elsewhere.
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding. Thats the answer to the million dollar question, tell him what he was won Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding. Thats the answer to the million dollar question, tell him what he was won Bob!
    Not the ONLY answer. There are a few others.

Lack of experience
    Insufficient capital (money)
    Poor location
    Poor inventory management
    Over-investment in fixed assets
    Poor credit arrangement management
    Personal use of business funds
    Unexpected growth

Then you toss in the predators...

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    Not the ONLY answer. There are a few others.

Lack of experience
    Insufficient capital (money)
    Poor location
    Poor inventory management
    Over-investment in fixed assets
    Poor credit arrangement management
    Personal use of business funds
    Unexpected growth

Then you toss in the predators...
    Actually no,that is THE only answer, your success as an entrepreneur really depends on how much time you are willing to invest in the business, and not just the day to day running, but the time taken to understand all the nuances surrounding your business. Everything you have said can directly be attributed to time or lack thereof
    Last edited by topanaris; Aug 20, 2014 at 01:14 PM.