Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satanforce needs you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    I don't like the whole "FOSS" stuff. It will be Public Domain license - for use of third world, and most importantly, Jamaica STEM and national development.
    So what's the diff between FOSS and public domain software-wise? Once you open to one, you open to all. And I personally like open when I'm seeking s/w...

I agree that this does seem to be a very interesting project. I've dabbled into some assembly in the past, but didn't go very far. Too much work for too little gain. I say we still need to assess the feasibility of something like this.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

building a game engine seems kinda pointless. There are tons of other engines out there as well. you would be reinventing the wheel and trying to solve two problems from what i see in the OP. one is creating a game engine and the other is creating a game. both take a lot of time. the unreal engine went open source the other day

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    building a game engine seems kinda pointless. There are tons of other engines out there as well. you would be reinventing the wheel and trying to solve two problems from what i see in the OP. one is creating a game engine and the other is creating a game. both take a lot of time. the unreal engine went open source the other day
    Not pointless at all.

Gonna use Rockstar for example. They built their own engine called 'Rage' and have made the majority of their top selling games with it. Now why did they not use an open source engine like Unreal 4 engine, etc to do this?

Because being 'innovative' and building your own unique engine not only nets you more money, but also you would be able to avoid the royalty costs, etc that you may have to pay to get the games published.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Very smart Pow. Lets you billion dollar company rockstar as an example.

SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Very smart Pow. Lets you billion dollar company rockstar as an example.
    I was gonna use EA but... yeah guess they are proly trillion dollar company by now eeh ?
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

rockstar didnt start from scratch. Im guessing they used the proprietary engine that they started out with until they gained some experience using it and could see all the shortcomings of the engine before they made the decision to build rage. in this article they said that rage started out as a set of components. they probably built around all the features or areas that Renderware was lacking in until they saw it feasible to turn the components into a game engine.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...-gta-5-1181281

from 1997 to 2006 thats 9 years worth of games that they made before they switched to rage